Bonding a Trio

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Looking for some insight on bonding a trio!

One of my friends has recently purchased two sister Holland Lops from me in hopes of bonding them. They currently live together, and thankfully have shown no signs of aggression / dominance yet, mainly just grooming and laying down together. They were born the end of October, so are just over 3 months old currently! The new owner is planning on spaying them as soon as the vet thinks they are developed enough. I have talked extensively to her regarding the risks involved in bonding. they are fully prepared to keep the bunnies separate if needed - but obviously would like to avoid this if possible!

Anyways, they decided they wanted to take the risk of bonding a trio. They have reserved a little buck from me that they are taking home a little bit later this month. They are obviously going to keep the pair and buck separate before altering. My question is: does anyone have any tips for bonding a trio? How should the pair be introduced? What is the projected timeline of successfully bonding, with steps provided so I can help her along the way?

Last edited:
Generally, trios seem to have the best chance when all 3 rabbits are introduced at the same time (as opposed to adding a 3rd to an existing pair). This assumes all are neutered and that the appropriate time after surgery has passed to allow hormones to fully dissipate.

I have found the following link to be very good in discussing trios. (Check for the Table of Contents on the right hand side of this link. You'll see number 7 is about Groups & Trios. Clicking on that will take you directly to that section.)
http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Latest posts

Back