Bonding a neutered and unfixed bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnibuns

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!
Next year I'm looking to show fuzzy lops for FFA. I have a neutered buck Holland already, who lives in a fairly large pen.
I'm looking to keep my pet and show rabbit together next year, but whether I get a buck or doe, they cannot be fixed for showing.
I'm not looking to sell the rabbit after shows, and I would really like to have the bunnies bonded.
My Holland now, Finny, is very affectionate and sweet, but I don't know how he'll react to other rabbits.
Is it possible to bond one fixed rabbit and one unfixed rabbit? And does anyone have any tips for raising and picking a good show rabbit? Thank you!!

If it was an unspayed doe, it could possibly work out if she's not excessively hormonal. But an unneutered buck would not work out at all. That could very likely lead to a fight. Whether or not your neutered buck and a doe will get along, will just depend on the does personality and your buns personality. I had a neutered buck and unspayed doe together for a few months until I could get her spayed, and they got along together and were a good match. But they also had plenty of space for him to hop away and avoid her when she was being a pest.

If it was an unspayed doe, it could possibly work out if she's not excessively hormonal. But an unneutered buck would not work out at all. That could very likely lead to a fight. Whether or not your neutered buck and a doe will get along, will just depend on the does personality and your buns personality. I had a neutered buck and unspayed doe together for a few months until I could get her spayed, and they got along together and were a good match. But they also had plenty of space for him to hop away and avoid her when she was being a pest.
Lovely, thank you. Even though a doe wasn't my first choice for a pet, I was planning on getting one for showing anyway.
Again, thanks a ton for the advice.

My house rabbits are an intact buck and a spayed doe, if Herr Hase wouldn't have got athrosis I would have considered neutering him since sometimes he was a PITA to Dotty, and sprayed her with no regard to where they were. But that issue unfortunatly resolved itself.

Neutered buck and intact doe are a quite common combination over here for pets, there are some benefits from spaying does, especially if they are indoor rabbits. Guess Fury is a special case, in her 8 months as indoor rabbit she pretty much destroyed my apartment (now 9yo happy outdoor bunny), but many intact does have more drive to "change" their envirnment when they are hormonal.

I like my 5 intact rabbits too, with all their quirks, but they wouldn't qualify as free roam indoor rabbits, at least the does. Buck alone worked perfectly though.

I don't recommend trying to bond with a second buck, even with a neutered one chances are high that it doesn't work out. (here many bucks get neutered at 8-12 weeks, not going through puberty makes bonding somewhat easier, but I haven't read that that would be available in the US)

My house rabbits are an intact buck and a spayed doe, if Herr Hase wouldn't have got athrosis I would have considered neutering him since sometimes he was a PITA to Dotty, and sprayed her with no regard to where they were. But that issue unfortunatly resolved itself.

Neutered buck and intact doe are a quite common combination over here for pets, there are some benefits from spaying does, especially if they are indoor rabbits. Guess Fury is a special case, in her 8 months as indoor rabbit she pretty much destroyed my apartment (now 9yo happy outdoor bunny), but many intact does have more drive to "change" their envirnment when they are hormonal.

I like my 5 intact rabbits too, with all their quirks, but they wouldn't qualify as free roam indoor rabbits, at least the does. Buck alone worked perfectly though.

I don't recommend trying to bond with a second buck, even with a neutered one chances are high that it doesn't work out. (here many bucks get neutered at 8-12 weeks, not going through puberty makes bonding somewhat easier, but I haven't read that that would be available in the US)
Thank you so much for your insight!! I have lots of hope for my current and future bun.

Latest posts

Back