Bonding 4 rabbits! Need advice what’s best

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L3chunk

Reaction score
Hello!
So I have a bonded pair both neutered, (Gus 4 years old and Colette 2 years old),
And just recently rescued a 6 month old male Uri , neutered, and a 8 month old female Tully. Uri and Tilly are not bonded yet, but separated in space by a fence, so they can see/smell each other. My bonded pair, have their own space in a difference room.
I would like to bond all 4.
My question is, should I put them all together in a neutral space to bond with supervision?
or should I bond Uri and Colette first, then bond the pairs together ?
would love your advice and thank you

Attachments

• 28857D57-DFAF-4E61-B280-C9128602BA4C.jpeg
    28857D57-DFAF-4E61-B280-C9128602BA4C.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 501DDD7D-2625-45A6-955C-66F91A08BD3A.jpeg
    501DDD7D-2625-45A6-955C-66F91A08BD3A.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 2
Group bonding isn't a science (though neither is pair bonding), so there is no "right" answer per say-- I recommend bonding Uri and Colette first and combining the two bonded pairs once they are secure and stable. This also can be a nice compromise with the 4 rabbits are not compatible as a group, so you'll at least have two bonded pairs that need to be housed separately.

For some past group bondings to read about, see here: Bonding rabbits together - WabbitWiki

Given that 2 of the 4 rabbits are male, it would likely be better to keep them in separate pairs. Males can get feisty and aggressive to each other when there are females around. Grouping rabbits in 3s or more typically has a chance to work only if either all the rabbits are of the same sex or if there is only 1 male with the rest females.

What I did was bonded my two sets and then bonded all 4 together after. I have two males and two females that are all happily bonded after a few months of working on it. I did take a while to bond my males, they kept fighting even though they are both neutered and get along great before being murdered. not saying bonding all 4 together wouldn’t work, that’s just my experience.

Latest posts

Back