Bonding 2 male rabbits? Is it doable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwit

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need some suggestions:

I had a Female Flemish giant, she is extremely smart, unique looking, sweet, and brave. She learns tricks so fast, she plays with all my guests, and she absolutely trusted me, and I walk her on a leash and she loves the beach. I loved her so much. She passed away and I am blaming myself for not being aware of some early symptoms I could have brought her to the vet earlier. I am so heart broken that I can't even function in everyday life now. I have been crying once every few minutes. I can't get over her death, the moment she died I was shouting I wish I could trade 10 years of my life to revive her... I messaged her breeder to see if she has any siblings or families left, his breeder told me all her relatives are adopted.

So I went on a second-hand market app to find some rabbits to buy. One male rabbit caught my attention immediately because he look like a copy and paste of my rabbit. So I messaged the seller, and I found out that the male rabbit is the brother of my deceased rabbit from the same litter! And I talked to the seller and found out that this boy has a very similar personality as my rabbit who passed away, the only difference is that he hasn't been handled much and doesn't know tricks, but also very brave and not afraid of anyone. I was so excited and I definitely want to keep him! But I quickly realized that I have another male rabbit at home. He is a mini lop. He is deaf and he is scared of everyone, he is not very closed to me and we barely interact, and he was only close to my deceased rabbit. he is a very submissive rabbit and he got bullied by other rabbits before. I feel bad for him so I do not want to give my mini lop either. If I get the brother of my deceased rabbit I can imagine the mini lop will get injured.

my male mini lop is neutered but the brother of my deceased rabbit is not. I plan to neuter him as well if I decide to take him home. Does anyone have a successful example of bonding 2 male rabbits? the breeder told me do not to bond 2 male rabbits but I really want to give it a try...

If both are neutered, it is possible for 2 males to bond. But it totally depends on the individual personalities of each rabbit. Male/male bonds are considered to be more difficult than any other combo (assuming all are neutered) but it is not uncommon for 2 males to bond. The only way to know is to let them meet and see how it goes.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your bun. It can be very painful to lose them when you have a special bond with an animal. I lost a special bun years ago, and it took me a while to move past it, but I was able to over time. I hope you can find some peace in knowing your bun was well loved and cared for in the time you had together, and I hope this new bun can help to heal your heart.

I've had neutered males bonded, but this was in a group with female rabbits too. But like Blue Eyes said, it's possible, depending on each rabbits personality. Just make sure to get him neutered and wait the 6-8 weeks for hormones to completely fade, before trying initial introductions.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

I'm very sorry for the loss of your bun. It can be very painful to lose them when you have a special bond with an animal. I lost a special bun years ago, and it took me a while to move past it, but I was able to over time. I hope you can find some peace in knowing your bun was well loved and cared for in the time you had together, and I hope this new bun can help to heal your heart.

I've had neutered males bonded, but this was in a group with female rabbits too. But like Blue Eyes said, it's possible, depending on each rabbits personality. Just make sure to get him neutered and wait the 6-8 weeks for hormones to completely fade, before trying initial introductions.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Thank you for your advice. I tried to bond with un-neutered females before, the fight was nasty, they were both too young to get neutered. I hope neutering will make a big difference this time.

If both are neutered, it is possible for 2 males to bond. But it totally depends on the individual personalities of each rabbit. Male/male bonds are considered to be more difficult than any other combo (assuming all are neutered) but it is not uncommon for 2 males to bond. The only way to know is to let them meet and see how it goes.

I will bring my surviving rabbit to the seller and see how they interact

I have 2 males that are bonded, one dwarf Hotot (a rescue, ~1 yr) and deaf one Holland Lop (16 months old). We had the lop - named Mochi- since 3 months, then when He was 8 months old, got the dwarf Hotot that was neutered by the rescue place. Mochi was neutered shortly after the dwarf came home. We kept them as adjacent neighbors for a few months- large cages next door to each other and the rabbit enclosure divided. Once they were exposed to each other thru the wire walls of their cages & enclosure, then we started supervised play dates. The biggest concern was forced humping by the dominant lop to the smaller, younger Hotot. We intervened and over time, the Lop decided he was more interested in companionship then humping, b/c we stopped it & separated them if they did it. Now, they’re best buddies, groom each other, cuddle, hang out, etc. sharing the enclosure space that also has a shared single large ceramic water bowl & plate on which they get their daily greens. the boys still overnight in separate cages (each w/ a hut, constant supply of both water & hay) & if we don’t cover & lock down the roof of the Hotot’s, he will jump/scale into the Lop’s cage so they’re together. But once the cage doors are opened in the morning, they freely room together in the enclosure & in each others cage. They are litter boxes trained & freely use each other’s litter boxes & nap in each other’s cage.

we don’t overnight them together b/c we simply have 2 cages & don’t know if being locked in a small space together would prompt the humping behavior, then Popper wouldn’t have any room nor hideouts to escape to, as he does in the enclosure. Popper the Hotot is more devious & daring then the very chill, deaf & fluffy Mochi the lop. Mochi is only aggressive when it comes to his greens, pellets, or getting his share of treats. otherwise he doesn’t put the effort. He calms Popper down.

we were lucky b/c the Lop is super chill & never has felt threatened by sharing space w/ the Hotot. He did hump away at first, and now only does it maybe once few months. As we separate immediately if we see it, I think Mochi decided it was not worth loosing his buddy over.🤷🏼‍♀️ When we’re in the enclosure, we make sure to give them both attention, but Popper is less likely to stay still enough for extended petting sessions. Mochi will hunker down and enjoy it. Overall, they’re bonded and best buddies.

I am so sorry for yr loss I have loss my beloved bun 20 months ago, she was my shadow, I can’t take it well, if this sounds like I am crazy/ stupid I might be as I was looking for her every where online, I end up with 3 bunnies, anyway, you might be lucky to find yr beloved buns brother but I still have that emptiness, I want to tell u there isn’t replacement for the beloved one. To answer yr questions yes I bonded 2 males buns but I started after they both fixed and waited for homogenous down 8-10 weeks, if they fighting during the bonding sessions at the beginning don’t panic it’ll be better. Good luck 👍

Attachments

• FE694438-1A03-45B5-844F-454F337514D9.jpeg
    FE694438-1A03-45B5-844F-454F337514D9.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 2
I wouldn't take your bun to meet the brother, since the brother is not neutered yet and your bunny will also be intruding on the brother's turf. This won't tell you much about how they might eventually get along and might just set up bad blood between them.

I lost my first ever bunny, a female dwarf, at 13-1/2 years. Her partner, a big bunny, grieved so much she was losing weight rapidly. I got her a new partner (a boy) who looked a lot like her former partner, but they didn't get along. Long story short, I ended up with 5 rabbits a few years later, just trying to get everyone a bondmate! So be careful, and as Fluffy19 said, it won't replace the lost bunny or fill that particular hole in your heart. But it will take a lot of your time to socialize the new bunny, time which you could be spending making your mini-lop feel loved and special. I think it would be very confusing for a deaf, frightened bunny to have to deal with a new, not-afraid-of-anything male rabbit larger than him. On the other hand, with lots of loving attention and interaction with you, he could become a very trusting and cuddly bunny and be better prepared for a future pal if he needs one.

I have 2 males that are bonded, one dwarf Hotot (a rescue, ~1 yr) and deaf one Holland Lop (16 months old). We had the lop - named Mochi- since 3 months, then when He was 8 months old, got the dwarf Hotot that was neutered by the rescue place. Mochi was neutered shortly after the dwarf came home. We kept them as adjacent neighbors for a few months- large cages next door to each other and the rabbit enclosure divided. Once they were exposed to each other thru the wire walls of their cages & enclosure, then we started supervised play dates. The biggest concern was forced humping by the dominant lop to the smaller, younger Hotot. We intervened and over time, the Lop decided he was more interested in companionship then humping, b/c we stopped it & separated them if they did it. Now, they’re best buddies, groom each other, cuddle, hang out, etc. sharing the enclosure space that also has a shared single large ceramic water bowl & plate on which they get their daily greens. the boys still overnight in separate cages (each w/ a hut, constant supply of both water & hay) & if we don’t cover & lock down the roof of the Hotot’s, he will jump/scale into the Lop’s cage so they’re together. But once the cage doors are opened in the morning, they freely room together in the enclosure & in each others cage. They are litter boxes trained & freely use each other’s litter boxes & nap in each other’s cage.

we don’t overnight them together b/c we simply have 2 cages & don’t know if being locked in a small space together would prompt the humping behavior, then Popper wouldn’t have any room nor hideouts to escape to, as he does in the enclosure. Popper the Hotot is more devious & daring then the very chill, deaf & fluffy Mochi the lop. Mochi is only aggressive when it comes to his greens, pellets, or getting his share of treats. otherwise he doesn’t put the effort. He calms Popper down.

we were lucky b/c the Lop is super chill & never has felt threatened by sharing space w/ the Hotot. He did hump away at first, and now only does it maybe once few months. As we separate immediately if we see it, I think Mochi decided it was not worth loosing his buddy over.🤷🏼‍♀️ When we’re in the enclosure, we make sure to give them both attention, but Popper is less likely to stay still enough for extended petting sessions. Mochi will hunker down and enjoy it. Overall, they’re bonded and best buddies.

Nice to hear about your successful bonding story! I am prepared to take months. Hope it will work out eventually. I took the brother home, he is very chill. He just watches the mini lop, but the mini lop gets very angry and aggressive... I separated them so there would be no bad blood between them.

I am so sorry for yr loss I have loss my beloved bun 20 months ago, she was my shadow, I can’t take it well, if this sounds like I am crazy/ stupid I might be as I was looking for her every where online, I end up with 3 bunnies, anyway, you might be lucky to find yr beloved buns brother but I still have that emptiness, I want to tell u there isn’t replacement for the beloved one. To answer yr questions yes I bonded 2 males buns but I started after they both fixed and waited for homogenous down 8-10 weeks, if they fighting during the bonding sessions at the beginning don’t panic it’ll be better. Good luck 👍

Sorry for your loss as well. Yes, I found myself lucky to find her brother. He lives in a different city from hundreds of miles away. I took him home today, he acts very differently from his sister, but he is very brave and even less skittish than his sister. I think it really helped me to truly let my deceased rabbit go because no matter how similar they look, they are just different. I can't replace the memories that I had with my dear rabbit Kiwit, I need to take time to start introducing myself to a new rabbit again. He is very chill, he does not react to the mini lop. I thought the mini lop was a easy-going boy, but he is very mad, I hope they will be friends someday.

I wouldn't take your bun to meet the brother, since the brother is not neutered yet and your bunny will also be intruding on the brother's turf. This won't tell you much about how they might eventually get along and might just set up bad blood between them.

I lost my first ever bunny, a female dwarf, at 13-1/2 years. Her partner, a big bunny, grieved so much she was losing weight rapidly. I got her a new partner (a boy) who looked a lot like her former partner, but they didn't get along. Long story short, I ended up with 5 rabbits a few years later, just trying to get everyone a bondmate! So be careful, and as Fluffy19 said, it won't replace the lost bunny or fill that particular hole in your heart. But it will take a lot of your time to socialize the new bunny, time which you could be spending making your mini-lop feel loved and special. I think it would be very confusing for a deaf, frightened bunny to have to deal with a new, not-afraid-of-anything male rabbit larger than him. On the other hand, with lots of loving attention and interaction with you, he could become a very trusting and cuddly bunny and be better prepared for a future pal if he needs one.

That's probably a much wiser thing to do... I was so emotional when I found the brother of my deceased rabbit. I took him home today. He is very chill, he is not as aggressive as his sister. His sister was very sweet to humans but super aggressive towards other rabbits. I didn't expect my mini lop can be so mad. The mini lop was attacking him and he barely reacted. I separated them. I can see there will be a lot of challenges. I was having doubts before I pick him up, but I felt I would regret it if I don't take him home, so I did. He was living alone in a small cage outside as a breeding rabbit, after I took him home he was so excited about everything. He was so excited about the toys that my other rabbits won't even care to touch, and he ever drink water from a large water bowl and he drink 3 bowls of water in few minutes, he was hopping on the grass like he have never seen grass before... I am glad I can bring some joy to Kiwit's brother. They are both brilliant, smart, brave, and curious rabbits. They deserve a good life with a lot of freedom and enrichment.

Sorry for your loss as well. Yes, I found myself lucky to find her brother. He lives in a different city from hundreds of miles away. I took him home today, he acts very differently from his sister, but he is very brave and even less skittish than his sister. I think it really helped me to truly let my deceased rabbit go because no matter how similar they look, they are just different. I can't replace the memories that I had with my dear rabbit Kiwit, I need to take time to start introducing myself to a new rabbit again. He is very chill, he does not react to the mini lop. I thought the mini lop was a easy-going boy, but he is very mad, I hope they will be friends someday.
Hello Kiwit, I am happy/exciting for you(a little jealous) that got the bun who will help you heal. I knew this would be yr decision as I would have done it too, knowing there are possibilities of issues but just cant help it. All I wanted to tell you is that no rabbits will fill up that hold in yr heart. Once my newest bun who looks so much alike Fluffy go into my bedroom by accident and he was sitting on her bed……;my god! It was just like Fluffy was sitting on her bed, 10 seconds later I cried like crazy again as I felt like there was a knife in my heart and emptiness.;💔

I guess yr mini lop is afraid that he might have lost yr affectionate as he already lost his friend that why he is so mad and acting aggressive toward the new bun, not to mention rabbits are very territory. Luckily the new bun didn’t react aggressive back, so the bonding should be just fine, but do not forget to get the new bun fix first and wait for 8-10 weeks. I did try to bond the boys when they were not yet fixed, it was no good. Good luck👍………very happy for you.

Your lop may eventually calm down once he gets used to the other rabbits smell being around. I'm happy that your new bun is adapting and settling in so well. The fact that he remains calm could help a lot when it comes time for you to try bonding the two of them.

This was the first time they encounter each other! (also the first day I got him)He is so tiny compared to his sister, he looks like his sister when she was 4 months old... He is super calm and gentle. I believe the bonding will go well.

Can't upload the video here... But thanks, guys! I think the bonding will go well. He is the most gentle and calm rabbit ever.

I am so happy for u, sounds like you are lucky to find the bun who will make you heal better. I am in trouble now trying to bond the 3 bunnies.

What did you end up doing? How are you now?
I got the new bunny neutered last month, I am waiting until the hormone is settled before I formally introduce them to each other. So far they have been living in the same room. I let them take turns running freely in the house, they are just ignoring each other. I will post again after the bonding sessions!

Latest posts

Back