Bonded rabbits fight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxkev

Reaction score
My female and male bun (both neutered) have been bonded for a few weeks now and they seemed rather calm around eachother (flopping and licking), but recently they've gotten into a pretty rough fight, chasing, circling, fur flying and biting.

I have seperated them and they both seem really calm (both of them are laying down with the feet out)? Like nothing happened, which is kinda wierd in my opinion.We will take them to the vet tomorrow, to see if there are any injuries.

I am curious as to how or why they started to fight? My guess is they have been using the same litter box and it kinda messed with their territorry or something? Could it be that one of them is sick? I dont know, honestly, I was so happy they bonded, it was a really stressful time, so Im hoping this wont last long.

I did read that I should just seperate them until they forget their fight, but for how long? And how can I strengthen their bobd, if thats even possible?

Do they live in the same place they were bonded? Do they live in where one of the rabbits previously lived by him/herself? That could definitely cause territory issues. For instance my rabbits live in a large xpen but their litter boxes are in a large dog cage. My female rabbit had previously
Lived in that dog cage after her spay so I had to really clean and let the dog cage air out so that it wouldn’t be detected as either ones territory. Also has their space greatly increased? I bonded mine in a small bathroom and when I let them free roam in the room together they seemed fine. However when I went to put them in their xpen set up together they did not get along well. I looked into it and there’s something called “cementing” where the rabbits must live together in a pretty small space for a few days in order to “cement” the bond before moving them to a larger area or free roaming. The way I did this was just have them in a 4x4 xpen together for a few days to a week before moving them to their 9x6 ft pen. They’re very in love now lol. As for letting them forget about their fight just slowly reintroduce them whenever you feel is right usually a few days after. If they seem ok with each other then it’s fine to move forward but if they show bad signs then separate them again for longer before trying again.

Latest posts

Back