Bonded pair not bonding so well anymore.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpuckett

Reaction score
So I went to the shelter after learning from them that there was a five year old rabbit who had been there since December, and things weren't looking good for her time-wise. She was a public drop off/stray, but she is super sweet to people, seems in good health and, overall warmed my heart, so since I had extra cage space (in the form of another cage in another room, pictures to come.) I brought her home yesterday, but my bonded pair is going nuts. I guess they can smell her. My bonded female has taken to biting and boxing my male (he is missing two little patches of fur on his nose), and he, not to be outdone, is now humping her (trying to anyways) every time she gets near him, which leads to more boxing.

Don't get me wrong, these are not "fights" per say, as in I don't have to pull them apart, he just tries to feel the love, and she doesn't want to feel it. But, on the other hand, she is pulling his fur out, and he is making her do it. I don't want them to be hurt or stressed by not being together...

Anyways, long story short, should I separate my bonded pair (it would just involve altering their NIC cage)? Temporarily? Permanently as a way to eventually try to rebond a trio? Should I just let them beat up on each other as a form of pecking order? :pullhair:

Aww so sorry this is happening. It is great that you rescued that girl if her time was limited.

As far as your bonded pair....hmmm..tough one. Whenever I answer bond questions on here, my answers are always conservative as I'm a nervous nelly about rabbit fights and bonds breaking :) Its just my personality.....

So with that being said, the boxing and fur being pulled out would concern me. I know you say they aren't fights but that's pretty darn close. I would be concerned that it could turn into a fight during a time you might not be there to see. Like dawn and dusk is a common fighting time and human slaves are usually sleeping.

I also would never attempt a trio. :( They arent impossible but very challenging and not very common. There is only one that i know of on RO and ive seen others "fail" on here, for lack of a better way to say it. They rarely work permanently without issues along the way that require re-bonding. There is also a risk of the current bond breaking (like what is happening now).

So, if it were me I would seperate the bonded pair but not permanently or drastically. Keep them caged next to each other so they can still see and smell each other and be together but not fight. I would not break up their bond to bond a trio. I don't think it's ever wise to sever and bunny bond for any reason. So caging them next to each other will keep that bond intact but protect them from each other. Hopefully things will settle down after they get used to the new bunny smell and they can be completely rejoined as a bonded pair.

Once they are rejoined, you can then attempt the trio if you want. The same rules apply to bonding a pair. Dates on neutral territory, etc. But of course be ready for challenges.

Best of luck!

The addition (Belladonna is her name) (went for a hobbit trio of names. The other two are Merry (I know Meridoc was a dude, but since my first bun was Pippin, I did it anyways :D) is spayed. The only way I could have her further away would be to have her in the basement, which while not like a dungeon, is still unheated. She'd probably be fine, but I don't like the idea of it. I believe I will separate my bonded pair for the time being. I cried when I saw he was missing that patch of fur, they both act like it's no big deal. I will alter their cage so there is a wall between them but that they can cuddle against each other through the grate. They cuddle, then they fuss, then they cuddle more. Weirdos working together to stress the bunny slave out...:nerves1:grumpy:

Are they all fixed? (I can't tell from your previous post.) If they're not, that would help, especially for the females.

I bring in foster buns on a regular basis and it does affect my bonded pair. It's worse if the foster is a male or an intact female but nevertheless, it affects them. With my last foster (I eventually adopted her), I would often find the female in my bonded pair out of her enclosure (it was 8x4 with low sides because no one ever tried to leave) in the mornings. I stayed up one night and noticed she would get fed up with being chased and would just leave. I ended up making them free range and that has worked out well. If the other rabbit ever enters their area (the apartment is essentially divided in two) they are likely to chase each other but the one being chased just gets far enough away from the other and it's resolved.

You can try to bond all three but I agree, it's unlikely to work. If they all did not know each other it may be doable but if there's already an existing pair it is nearly impossible.

Latest posts

Back