Bonded pair - mounting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theevenstarlight

Reaction score
It took my doe and buck about two and a half months to bond - and they've been living together for about a week now.

Sometimes I catch my buck mounting my doe, and she is not happy about it. She has already established herself as dominant.

I moved to a new apartment - could this be why? I don't want to separate them because they sleep together and cuddle and groom each other.

Any words of wisdom? I have heard that sometimes bonded pairs will mount, but he is doing this a few times a day, and sometimes they will fight.

Mine did that when I moved furniture around... Bonded for almost 4 months and it had never happened before. I'm sure your situation is because of the move.

However I thought it was because I rearranged furniture. Someone suggested that the bunny being mounted may be ill, and it turned out that he was! I guess they know when something's wrong and her way of showing he was sick was mounting him. It was really weird. I thought "That's nuts, he's fine" and then a few days later we were at the vet.

Not trying to scare you, like I said, the situations are very different and if they've only been together for a week and there was a move, maybe you should start seperating them when you aren't around and kinda start bonding steps again...bunny fights are never good:?

Good luck!

Julia

theevenstarlight wrote:
Interesting! Thanks so much for sharing.

About the illness thing - my doe is molting right now, could my buck consider that to be an illness?
Even a "change" in the other bun can cause this, so possibly could be it. The new place could be why as well. They'll work it out;). Just keep an eye out.

Latest posts

Back