Bonded bunnies still unsure who is boss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyjp27

Reaction score
We have two dwarf house bunnies that are approaching a year old called Meeko and Misha. They are brother and sister and have both been neutered/spayed. We’ve had them now for 2.5 months and they are both litter trained. We think that he seems to very much think he’s the boss, however throughout the whole process of bonding she has just seemed so independent and indifferent to everything when it comes to figuring out who is the dominant. He was constantly following her around for weeks just honking and humping her and every time she’d just run away and then get on with whatever she was doing. It’s got to the point now that when he hops over to her she usually just runs away. They are bonded though and they do snuggle together and clean each other. So it seems she just tolerates him and let’s him think he’s the boss even though she does what she wants anyway. She is by far the most friendly with us though and always comes over for treats, but then he runs over honking and she runs away. Several times we have seen the him flick pee at her when he gets annoyed at her for just being a good little bun bun. He has also flicked pee at us before when we’ve showed her attention (even though we’ve showed him the same attention and he’s ignored it). Usually when we come down in the morning to their room there is splash stains all over the floor. He can also be really friendly though and does come over for treats too.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how to get them to stop flicking pee and to get them to stop running away from each other and just get on all the time? I know there’s probably nothing we can do other than to just let them figure it out, but it’s been nearly 3 months now and we really want to be able to trust them to not flick all over the walls in the rest of the house.

Thanks!

Hi, how long ago were they fixed?

Hi, how long ago were they fixed?
We’re not sure exactly as they are rescues, but we think they were done at 4-5 months as standard. It’s definitely been long enough that the hormones should have calmed down,

If there's more than 3 months since fixing anyway they shouldn't spray so I don't know honestly. I have a neutered rabbit I tried bonding him to a female after about 2,5 months after neutering and he still was humping and spraying a lot, I had to separate them and wait a few more weeks, after that he stopped spraying so no humping nothing they are happy now.

Latest posts

Back