Bonded bunnies randomly humping?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saraxxx

Reaction score
Hey y’all!

I own two lionheads, honey bunny (HB) a 6 year old male, and I got ebony the female a year ago, shes about 1.5 years old. they bonded very fast, within two weeks. At first ebony tried to be dominant and hump HB, but that quickly changed and he was the only one humping her. The humping of course stopped after about a week or two.

as ive been home during this quarantine,Ive been able to keep them out for longer periods of time. I also moved some stuff around in my room and cleaned up. Randomly tonight, ebony started humping HB?? And kept trying to pretty aggressively/chasing after him. I put them back in their cage and now ebony is cleaning/grooming HB like she normally does and they’re lounging on their shelf together.

Why do you guys think that would randomly happen tonight? Was my newly organized floor “new territory” she was trying to be territorial of? And should I be concerned at all? Any help is appreciated, thank you!!

Are they spayed and neutered? If not you are going to have baby bunnies very soon. I would not house them in a cage together until they are completely bonded. Here is a helpful link and video: Bonding Bunnies.

Are they spayed and neutered? If not you are going to have baby bunnies very soon. I would not house them in a cage together until they are completely bonded. Here is a helpful link and video: Bonding Bunnies.

Yes they have both been spayed and neutered since they were a young age/since they have been bonded

The humping is showing dominance. It will continue until one of them submits. I would not be super worried unless she is pulling fur.

Sometimes a pair of bonded rabbits will have a humping episode. Anything can trigger it -- new smell, feeling grouchy. It may not happen for months or years and then, all of a sudden, it happens and then is soon forgotten. Sounds like they are back to normal. You did the right thing by not allowing it to escalate. Sounds like it was just a random occurrence.

Sometimes a pair of bonded rabbits will have a humping episode. Anything can trigger it -- new smell, feeling grouchy. It may not happen for months or years and then, all of a sudden, it happens and then is soon forgotten. Sounds like they are back to normal. You did the right thing by not allowing it to escalate. Sounds like it was just a random occurrence.

I think you are right! I let them out again this morning and they were back to normal with no issues. HB was bowing his head a lot and ebony was grooming him like normal. Thanks for your advice!

Latest posts

Back