Bonded bunnies not getting along?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricaWD

Reaction score
Hello all,

We took in a neutered buck and spayed doe a week ago, both Netherland Dwarfs, who are bonded. I was told they are almost a year old and have been together all along, and they were neutered and spayed in August last year. We have other rabbits in the house, but they are separated. Today I heard a commotion and it was the buck chasing the doe around and mounting her, with her grunting and running away. I watched for a few minutes and he wouldn't stop, so I took him out and put him in a carrier beside their cage. I'm torn between separating them to prevent the behaviour and putting them back together to avoid breaking their bond. Does anyone have advice?

I suggest that you separate them. I had a similar case.
one ended up badly injured. I had to take her to the vet.

Thanks for replying, rabby. I did separate them for about 20 minutes, then tried putting the buck back in again but he persisted, so they are separated now but their pens are right next to each other. The doe didn't want to eat much this morning and the vet says she's gassy so he's giving her IV fluids, meds, and critical care for if she continues to not eat her food today.

Did you take the female rabbit to the vet for the IV? Without the male? If so, that can affect a bond. If he was already getting too dominant with her, that may now become worse if she returns from the vet with those unfamiliar odors clinging to her.

How close (proximity) are the other rabbits to the new pair you brought in? Had the other rabbits ever been in the space that you are housing the new pair? The presence/scent of other rabbits can affect the bond of another pair.

Moving a bonded pair of rabbits to a new location can also test that bond especially if they are granted too much space to start. Territory issues can arise which can be exacerbated by the lingering scent of any other rabbits.

Thanks for replying, rabby. I did separate them for about 20 minutes, then tried putting the buck back in again but he persisted, so they are separated now but their pens are right next to each other. The doe didn't want to eat much this morning and the vet says she's gassy so he's giving her IV fluids, meds, and critical care for if she continues to not eat her food today.
you are welcome. I hope everything goes well

Thanks for your reply, Blue eyes. We took them both to the vet in carriers so they could both be checked. I guess it must be the scent of the other rabbits - the new bunnies were in the pen they had with their previous owner, it was never used by any other rabbit, but the others are fairly close by in their own pens. The doe is on gut stimulants and pain medication and we have critical care for her. They're still in separate pens that are very close together.

Latest posts

Back