Bonded bunnies fighting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly6485

Reaction score
Hello all , I am having some trouble with my previously bonded bunnies. I have 2 bunnies, a spayed female, and a neutered Male, they are about 2 and a half, were neutered and spayed before a year of age, and have been bonded for almost a year now. My female was alone, so we adopted the Male from a bunny shelter. Anyways, their bonding was pretty easy, they were bonded within 3 weeks after daily work and attention, and up until yesterday, they got along flawlessly.

There have been no changes to their environment, both are seemingly healthy and active, and they haven't been seperate at all for any reason.

Yesterday morning, I heard a scuffle, and they were chasing each other in what I have to assume was a bunny tornado, I made a loud noise, they stopped, chunks of hair everywhere, but no injuries to the skin. I observed them for a while and noticed they were uptight, so I packed them in their crate and took them on a vacation to the basement, I set up a corral for them and they spent the next 5 hours together, the basement is a place neither of them are familiar with. They didn't have an issue at all for those 5 hours, so in the evening, I put them back upstairs in their enclosure , and honestly it appears as if they had made up completely, everything looked great.

This morning, with a night of no incident, I was hopeful, but then late morning, another scuffle , not as bad as the last, but obvious chasing behavior , so I again took them to the basement , left them there many hours, and now I set up 2 xxl dog crates in my living room, and put them side.by side instead of together.

Their normal enclosure is an xxl dog crate with an added level, they are both tiny, under 4 lbs, they stay in when we aren't home and at night , but can come out to our first floor other times.

So am I taking the right steps? Do I just give them a few hours a day for a while ? How long should that continue? While together downstairs they aren't showing any aggressive signs at all.

Help!!!

Kelly20180911_101007.jpg

Attachments

• 20190203_161434.jpg
    20190203_161434.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 7
Did the cage that you are using upstairs used to belong to one of the rabbits? It could be a territorial issue, if they are doing fine In a place they haven’t been before. Try washing everything in the upstairs cage and moving it, if you can. Maybe start separating them at night for a little while, just to keep any injuries from happening while you can’t watch them.

Did the cage that you are using upstairs used to belong to one of the rabbits? It could be a territorial issue, if they are doing fine In a place they haven’t been before. Try washing everything in the upstairs cage and moving it, if you can. Maybe start separating them at night for a little while, just to keep any injuries from happening while you can’t watch them.
The cage they share upstairs was bought for them to share and only used after they were bonded. My first bunny's cage is the 2nd one I brought up for the time being , until I get them out of this funk

bonded bunnies sometimes do fight every once and a while. It’s like every other human couple. Every now and then there is going to be a fight, but they’ll makeup afterwards.

Since this wasn't a one-time incident, and it is occurring in their normal shared housing, my suspicion would be that one of them may not be feeling well. If one is a bit off, he or she could be grumpy and that can lead to some fights.

If this is the case (that one isn't feeling well) this could explain why they do not fight when brought to unfamiliar territory -- that is a stress factor for both that overshadows the grumpiness. Once back in familiar and comfortable territory, there are no outside circumstances to take precedence.

Sometimes in spring rabbits can get 'spring fever', even spayed/neutered ones, and this can sometimes alter their behavior causing some hormonal type behaviors. It seems to especially affect does. If what you are doing seems to help, I would just continue with that. Though if there is escalation and you are concerned about injuries occurring, it may become necessary to completely separate them, wait for a few weeks for things to settle, then rebond them.

Another possibility for sudden behavior changes in rabbits, is an underlying health problem causing increased agitation and the unusual behavior changes. If you think this is more likely what's going on, best to have your rabbit seen by an experienced rabbit vet.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back