Bonded bunnies and their litter problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Gunni

Reaction score
Hi all,
This spring we adopted a 3 year old, neutered male-bunny as a friend for our 2 year old, neutered female-bunny. They live as free-roaming bunnies in our house. The bonding-process was horrible, BUT after a few months they've become pretty good friends. Our big problem now is.. They pee and poop everywhere.
She was well litter-trained before. When we first got him, he didn't seem to be, but it seemed to be because he was marking his territory. He got better after a few days. Now when they're bonded, they have a room of their own basically. We have two litter-boxes with hay for them and they're big enough. They use the litter-boxes. But they also poop and pee (worst of all) on the carpet in their room. Sometimes they use the carpet before the litter-box and often way more than the litter-box. It's often close to the litter-boxes too. I've seen them both do it, and it's not because they're chased out of the litter-box. They also pee and poop at the carpet and on the floor under our dining-table, where they spend a lot of time. It's a fast run for them to their room, so it's not because of inconvenience either.
We've tried moving the litter-boxes around. We've tried cleaning everything - several times. We've tried limiting their access to where they peed the most. We've sprayed the areas with perfume. We've even let it be for a while to see if that helped. For a week they stayed with my husbands parents, and they peep and pooped everywhere there too.
We don't know what to do.. Now we're going on a two week holiday, while my mom takes care of them at her house. So we're hoping for some good advice on what to do, so that we can re-litter-train them and it won't happen again, when we get back. Since they're free-roaming we're thinking to redo in IKEA hol for their toilet.
Can anyone give us some advice, so that we can maybe get them litter-trained again?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back