Bond mate?!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breezekoz

Reaction score
Hey everyone, :)
I have a Holland lop that is almost a year old as of September. He has never had a bond mate mainly because I haven't had the funds to do so. I was recently told that I would need to get him one soon or he will not accept another bunny. He came from a litter so the only bunnies he was around were his siblings for a bit. I'm slightly terrified of the whole bonding process. He isn't the warmest bunny to me but he has never showed me aggresion. If he doesn't want to accept the attention and affection I give him then that means he is getting none. I know rabbits are bonding animals. I'm just curious as to if there really is a "deadline".

Thanks everyone!!
Breeze

You can bond buns of different ages. He and his partner (preferably a female) would have to both be neutered/spayed for them to bond properly and without aggression. Is he neutered already? There isn't necessarily a 'deadline', but the sooner the better if you can afford it. My rabbits are all solo because I have a breeding pair, and the buck always wants to mate, so the buck and doe can't be kept together. I also have a female from a past litter that never sold and her mom doesn't get along with her. Humans can give rabbits a lot of attention and love, but it would never compare to the love that they get from another bunny.

IG- https://www.instagram.com/minirexrabbiters/
Website- https://minirexrabbiters.wixsite.com/minirexrabbitersmn

You can bond buns of different ages. He and his partner (preferably a female) would have to both be neutered/spayed for them to bond properly and without aggression. Is he neutered already? There isn't necessarily a 'deadline', but the sooner the better if you can afford it. My rabbits are all solo because I have a breeding pair, and the buck always wants to mate, so the buck and doe can't be kept together. I also have a female from a past litter that never sold and her mom doesn't get along with her. Humans can give rabbits a lot of attention and love, but it would never compare to the love that they get from another bunny.

IG- https://www.instagram.com/minirexrabbiters/
Website- https://minirexrabbiters.wixsite.com/minirexrabbitersmn

Thanks so much for the reply! He is neutered!
I'm assuming female due to most males having an Alpha personality?

He is my first bun so I have never bonded any before.

Male or female makes no difference whatsoever as to which will be alpha. Often it is the female who takes charge. The reason for the suggestion of male/female is that those bonds (both fixed) tend to go easier (but certainly not always!). Two females are considered slightly more difficult and two males considered the more difficult. BUT these are just generalizations.

I agree that age really doesn't matter. Rescues routinely bond older buns. The ease of bonding depends mostly on the individual rabbits. Some are just super stubborn and picky.

Not all rabbits have to be bonded. I've had some singles that did seem perfectly content to be the only bun in the household. I wouldn't advise someone to get a 2nd rabbit if they really aren't comfortable with the idea of having two.

I've gone through some extremely difficult and stressful bonds and some that just would not work, so I am not so quick to encourage people to go through the process if they aren't up for it. (I have also had some extremely easy bonds. If anyone has only had easy bonds, they would likely be quick to say, "sure, yes, go ahead and bond. No big deal." I am not of that mindset.)

All that to say, go with what you are most comfortable with. If you really want to bond and have a 2nd rabbit, then do lots of reading/research and have your boy bunny date some spayed females (or neutered males). Rabbit rescues will help to guide you.

Otherwise, just be content with the one you have.

Latest posts

Back