Blue Silver Fox?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
How common are blue Silver Fox? We just got one in at the Humane Society this weekend. It came from a 4H kid who didn't want to take care of it any more, and it even has a pedigree from a local breeder. I've seen black Silver Foxes at the 4H show at the fair, but never blues before.

He's a sweet hunk of bunny love!

Thanks. That's what I thought. The pedigree said he came from two black parents although I didn't look farther back.

Too bad he has to be neutered now that he's at the shelter. Oh well, he probably doesn't have the right body type or something or they wouldn't have sold him. He seems long and uninterested in sitting in the proper pose.

Anyone want a rare pet rabbit? $35 adoption fee including the neuter!:biggrin2:

No, I didn't have the camera and he's not up on Petfinder. I could go back later this week though.

His silvering is nice and even throughout, although I don't think there's quite as much of it as there is on Bluegiants' rabbits. It's not as noticeable on him as it is on a black so the effect isn't as stunning.

The humane society must be more overcrowded than I realized. I had sent the silver fox back to the vet for a minor URI and he ended up being PTS because of it. That's never happened before. I knew things were crazy with the horrible economy around here but I didn't expect that.

RIP big guy.:tears2:

Awe that's so sad!

But, Blue silver foxes aren't terribly uncommon anymore. They should be show-able in a few years again, if not next year.

I currently have a blue silver fox buck, named Tempest. I also have a doe that is het for blue, so I should be able to get some. :)

Here are some pictures of him when he was 3 1/2 or 4 months old. He's now almost 6 months old. :)

DSC00099.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

I think this picture is funny; My blue silver fox (Tempest), russian blue barn cat (Indie), and my blue weimaraner (Popple). I only need my american blue rat and my russian blue rat to show my full bouquet of blue animals. :)

There are a few breeders working on getting the Blue to be an accepted show color... and one person is even working on Chocolate Silver Fox.

What a shame he was PTS. If the blue color is deep and rich, the silvering is very pretty.

I know a couple people with white silver fox, with full pedigrees, too. Just something that popped up - you can't see the silvering, of course, but the fur is still the amazing long, dense coat. The breeder I got mine from has some, and I may get a pair from her some time. They supposedly also have even denser fur than normal, and are used to increase density in the coat. :)

I'd love to get some chocolates... perhaps I'll search around for the rabbitry. :)

Latest posts

Back