Bloody doe and Abandoned newborn kit, advice?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimchilla

Reaction score
This is my doe and I's second litter. Her first litter, 4 months ago, went flawless.
I am no rabbit expert - is there any hope for an abandoned kit?

My doe was due for our second litter yesterday and had them over night or this morning. She lives in a stall in the barn and I saw a kit on the floor of the stall. But also, blood in various places. She did not have this at all last time. I assume she had trouble delivering.

The kit on the floor, I thought was dead and ignored while I inspected the nest box and the doe. The doe has a bloody hind end, and there is a bit of blood in the nest, several healthy kits (I did not disturb things enough to know much other than "yep there they are" and they're alive)

There is a big glob of bloody tissue which I at first thought was a half eaten kit but it doesn't appear to be? And several spots of bloody pee in the stall. What would cause this for the doe, what should I do/check for/watch for or can be done?

THEN I noticed the kit on the floor moving and picked it up. Someone bit its ear off and it was ice cold. I thought for sure it was readily dieing and contemplated putting it out of its misery vrs trying to warm it. I brought it in and have the kit on a heating pad. Its warm and toasty now, crawling, wiggling and squeaking.

I assume the mother will reject it given the hole in its head from the ripped off ear? Or should I try putting it in the nest? Seems like with the wound others might get ill. What is the outlook for this kit? What do I do with it? How does one feed an orphaned kit, if I can clean the wound and keep it warm?

Would you assume this kit was stuck and mom pulled it out by its head and thats what happens with the blood on her and the missing ear?

I thought maybe my barn cat helped herself to the nest but I do not think so, and she would have eaten the kit....

ANY suggestions?

Attachments

• 0614191008.jpg
    0614191008.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 0614190956.jpg
    0614190956.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I would just rub the mother's scent all over the kit, then place it in the nestbox with the other kits. There is no reason the mother should reject it as long as it doesn't have another rabbits scent on it. As long as the missing ear wound is no longer bleeding and the mom will leave the wound alone, it should be fine. There have been earless kits before due to mom's over zealous cleaning(or possibly having to pull the kit out), that do just fine regardless of the missing ear. Only thing to watch out for would be making sure debris doesn't get in the ear, as well as making sure the wound doesn't become infected. Also keep an eye on the kit and make sure it gets fed, or if it is getting dehydrated at this point I would hold the kit to mom's belly(very carefully so mom doesn't kick out and injure the kit) to get a nursing in before she does the next one with all the kits.

With the doe, the bloody tissue might have been a placenta. If the doe lost too much blood and/or is acting lethargic from blood loss, she should be brought to an experienced rabbit vet right away.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank-you!
Is it at all normal for them to loose so much blood?

You don't think that the wound on this kit will introduce anything bad into the nest?

And is it OK to handle them all daily to find this kit and check the ear? They seem so fragile to pick up!

I handled my kits from day one. It's important to check them daily(I prefer at least twice a day) to make sure none have died and remove from nest if they have so they don't chill the other kits, to make sure mom is feeding them and they aren't wrinkly and dehydrated, and to make sure mom is cleaning them and don't have distended bellies from not being stimulated to pee or have poop stuck to their bum. I just made sure to always wash my hands before handling, using a non scented soap, and also handle them near the floor as they are very wiggly and have a tendency to almost pop out of your hand. I would pull the nest box out and bring onto the floor with a clean towel to set the kits on while I checked every one.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

As long as the wound doesn't get infected then I would think it would be fine being in the nest box. As long as it isn't actively oozing then it should scab up. If it is actively bleeding then I would apply gentle pressure with sterile gauze to stop the bleeding. When in doubt, consult with your rabbit savvy vet, as I can only make informed guesses as to what's going on and say what I might do in a similar situation.

A little blood is normal in the birthing process, but if it seems excessive, consult with your vet.

I second what JBun just suggested and you can also keep him/her separately in a small box put there some hay and fur from the nest and keep it warm just for a couple days when the wound gets better. You can feed him keeping your doe on your lap or on something just on her side and bringing kit to her nipples and keep for a few minutes like 5 min once or twice a day, then when wound gets better you get something like your does blanket or just rub with her scent as was said and then if you put him into nest box after she nursed them put with other kits so he will smell like other kits when she will come again to feed them, usually once or twice a day. It looks strong and pretty, sorry about the ear but now you will have a unique one-eared rabbit hopefully scar won't be seen under fur.

For the blood, I think it is normal amount and you just entered immediately after she gave birth and what you saw was half-eaten placenta and it is normal that she ate it her nose and bum were a bit bloody she will clean herself

Thank-you so much. This was very helpful. I've learned a lot this weekend! I did return the kit with the missing ear to the nest yesterday and this morning everyone is alive and well. Her wound is scabbed over and looks good. They do not look really full or fed as of yet... I'm hoping if I look after dark this evening she will have fed them? Thanks again for your advice.

I just wanted to pop back on with an update.
Thank-you for your help in my panic state! I did NOT know that kits could get so stiff and ice cold but warm up and live! Nor did I know that they could have an injury as a newborn and just heal up with no assistance. These guys are way easier than goat kids :D!
Weeks later our little one eared kit is alive and well, pretty stinking cute too and the friendliest bun. :):):)

Attachments

• DSC_0677.JPG
    DSC_0677.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0629.JPG
    DSC_0629.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0614.JPG
    DSC_0614.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back