Blood in Eye?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyChickenGirl

Reaction score
Every once in a while I check the underside of my rabbit’s eye lids (along with checking their teeth and feeling their stomach) both to make sure nothing is wrong and so that if something becomes off I know each rabbit’s usual and can notice it right away.
I was checking on Opal today, and noticed red (it looks like blood to me, but I’m hoping that I’m wrong) in the white of her right eye. Her left doesn’t have this and I haven’t seen it there before.
These are the two best photos that I could get.F3C8F467-835D-4A23-9A33-CC7BACC11468.jpegA845045E-FD0A-4D46-8D1D-6FC4BF1B18CB.jpeg
And here is her right eye without her eyelid held up.B2F465DA-A287-425F-8081-E0427E187D2E.jpeg
Does anybody know what this could be? Is it possible that she just hit her face on something and this is the equivalent to her eye being blood-shot? Do I need to bring her to the vet?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Burst blood vessels in the eye can happen for the same reasons that people get them. Usually it's not a big issue and heals in a week or two. But there is always the chance a more serious eye issue or trauma is the cause, especially if there is ongoing eye discharge, swelling, bulging of the eye, noticeable changes in vision, excessive irritation with the eye, and/or showing signs of discomfort or pain (eg lack of appetite, unusual lethargy, etc). In which case you should contact your rabbit vet right away. Or if in doubt, consult with your vet.

Burst blood vessels in the eye can happen for the same reasons that people get them. Usually it's not a big issue and heals in a week or two. But there is always the chance a more serious eye issue or trauma is the cause, especially if there is ongoing eye discharge, swelling, bulging of the eye, noticeable changes in vision, excessive irritation with the eye, and/or showing signs of discomfort or pain (eg lack of appetite, unusual lethargy, etc). In which case you should contact your rabbit vet right away. Or if in doubt, consult with your vet.
Ok, phew, it doesn’t seem painful and her vision seems fine so that means it is probably no big deal, thank goodness! I just checked it and it looks like the blood is slowly disappearing. Thank you for the help (and your patience with me despite all my questions)!

Latest posts

Back