Blood i urine after spay? Have it happened to any of you before?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi everyone yesterday Tyra got spayed and she started to eat after I gave her pain meds (shouldn’t given her yesterday) but all other vet spays with other vets advice to give a dosage of pain meds after a spay. I could also see that Tyra was in pain and refused to move or even eat.

After an hr of giving pain meds she became more active and started to eat. I also increased her pain meds because it was too low dosages for Tyra. I will go down on the pain meds after 5 days.

Today I noticed blood in her urine. First I thought it was the incision but it looks good and no paws are hurt. I’m going to contact the vet tomorrow when they are open and ask about the blood in the urine. This is the first time I see blood in urine for bunnies and it’s not colored urine because around the blood we got normal yellow urine. She urinated outside the litter box, the reason why I noticed it.

Have any of you experience the same with blood in the urine after a spay?

It happened to me with Iris. I asked around about it too, and apparently if it's just once or twice, and there's not much of it, some blood is okay. It might just be that a tiny bit got into her pee hole during the spay.
Won't hurt to ask the vet though.

Yeah, if there's a tiny bit, ask the vet about it tomorrow. If there's a lot and/or accompanied with other signs of it being an emergency, get your bun seen to immediately.

Thanks for the replies. Tyra behaves normally and is active. She’s not on her incisions and have a big appetite.

At least it calms me down that it can happen but I will call the vets.

The vet told me it was only pigmentation and not blood without even seeing it. So I’m a bit annoyed that they told me I was wrong. I perfectly know about pigmented urine and I can see the different between an urine marking with red sploosh and pigmented urine. Because Tyras urine marking looks exactly as humans when they have blood in urine.

At least they told me if I notice it more I will have to go to the emergency vet. So I’ll change the litter to paper because at the moment I can’t see her urines color in the litter box. Why I noticed where because she had peed outside the litter box on the blanket.

While I will have a free visit to check the incisions but I won’t be using them again for my other bunnies. I was hoping to find another vet that is good. The price are good but they give really low pain relief after spay and they even lost Tyra in the system and question me if I even had a time for her. So not a good experience with them even though I know other owners love them.

Latest posts

Back