Blog for the Bun-Buns!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Kenosha very far from you? My cousin Gary lives there.Who won the match?

Sammie is just like Pepper. I think there are distant twins. If you put together you won't know who's who :)

OK, time for a proper update.

I have finished my clinicals, so I should have a little more time on my hands to come online and check out the forum (and update)! Will and I are no longer together. It was a difficult break-up, but we are still friends. We have been hanging out a lot. I have been going birdwatching a lot, as well. I have added, like, 15 new bird species to my birdwatching list. :) Hooray, extra time!

Anyway, onto the critters.

Toby has been doing well. His poor little fluff-butt just can't get over his molt. it's like he gets most of it out, then a little more comes out, so he has been in semi-permanent "cactus-butt" mode. Other than that, he has been doing well. I have taken him outside a few times. I take his and Sammi's pens outdoors and hook them together. Toby loves the outdoors time, and he noms as much fresh grass as he can. The apartment manager even said that when they spray for weeds in the later Spring, she will have them not spray the area where I put my bunny pen. She is going to tell them to not spray that whole side of the building (it's only about a 20'x8' area) so I can keep taking my critters outside. :)

Sammi wasn't doing too well this past week. She wasn't eating or drinking, and she wasn't trying to kill me when I went into her cage to tidy up. Normally, she goes all Monty Python's "Creature of Caerbannog" on me, but she just sat there. Also, there was poop all over her cage. They were the little bunny pellets, but that is so not like her, it's scary. She's normally little miss prissy pants about that, so I was worried. So, I've been syringing her water orally and putting lots of wet greens in her bowl. She has been eating better lately, but she's still not 100%.

Regiford has been doing well, too. He likes to go outside, as well. I put him out in the pen with Toby, because they don't seem to care about each other's presence much. Either way, Reggie just stays in the carrier that I put in the pen. I started to take the carrier apart (top and bottom halves) and left the top half of the carrier on the grass so Reggie could stay sheltered, but still have access to the yummy grass.

I have two new zebra finches now, too. They are two female "black-cheeked" zebra finches. One is mostly white with a VERY fluffy tummy, and the other one just looks like a normal zebra finch, minus the red cheeks. They are both females, I am pretty sure. They've been laying eggs up a storm! They have such cute little eggs, though. Since I don't want baby finchies, I removed the freshly-laid eggs from the cage.

The three Hamigos are doing well. Actually, only two of the three Hamigos are still here. Lucky and Dusty decided to try and eat Ned. When I found Ned, his back was one huge scab and he was hiding away from their normal nest. Now, Ned lives with my mum and was promptly spoiled rotten.

Onto the pictures!

Why is it that when I bring out the camera, this is the look I get from BOTH bunnies?
img0177p.jpg

img0178i.jpg

Toby sitting on his house, waiting for a snack.
img0183p.jpg

Sammi telling me where to stick my camera.
img0182fq.jpg

Regiford enjoying his Cuddle-E-Cup.
1019781.jpg

The new finches. The one on the left is Leonardo Da Finchi, and the one on the right is Ish Kabibble. :p
1019787.jpg

Kelly, I am so sorry about things with Will. You both looked so happy together. Is he going to live nearby to help out with the kids if needed? It is good to hear that you are still very good friends. It isn't fun when it's a messy break-up...

Hey!! Where's my Regiford pic?!!! How am I going to get through the day without seeing piggie-lips!! He is such a handsome pig!! Good thing I don't have room for anymore, or he would have been missing from his cage a long time ago...:coolness:

Everybody else look great! Poor little Ned... Glad to hear you found him in time to rehome him to mum's house. We might need more Toby whisker pics though. I do hope Sammi is feeling better soon. Sounds like she is bouncing back. The new finches look pretty {{meep-meep}}.

myheart

myheart wrote:
Hey!! Where's my Regiford pic?!!! How am I going to get through the day without seeing piggie-lips!! He is such a handsome pig!! Good thing I don't have room for anymore, or he would have been missing from his cage a long time ago...:coolness:
Just for you, Janet! Piggie pictures hot off the press! :p

Dis mah good side!
img0194r.jpg

You wanted piggie leeps?
img0195g.jpg

I got a new camera yesterday. I took the plunge and spent over $1000 on a camera, a zoom lens, the warranties :)D) and other assorted stuff. It's a Canon SLR. :) I've been harassing everything inside (and outside) the apartment since. :p

Will is living with our roommate's parents at the moment. He is about 15-20 minutes away. He came over the other morning when I found Sammi acting goofy. He came over to help me hold her for some fluids and a little bit of Metacam.

I had tried to reply yesterday, but my post was eaten... :(

Awe... look at those little lips!! Smooches to da piggie!!!

I think Will still gets the good-guy award for helping out with the kids when they don't feel good. It's so nice to the extra set of hands to administer meds. I'm not very good at the bunny-burrito, so I have to adapt passing out meds to various likes/dislikes and strength of kicks with a draped towel. Not always the easiest thing to do at times by myself.

Hmmmm... new camera.... Good for you!! Poor critters.... :twitch: Have fun with it!!

myheart

Yay for the new camera!!! Digital SLRs are awesome! The pictures look great!
My bunnies pretty much got harassed by the camera for a week after I got my Nikon as well :biggrin2:

Can I just say - LOVE your finches, AND their names? :rofl:

Well, McSammersons is in stasis.

She stopped eating regularly a few days ago, but being the optimist that I am, I somewhat "ignored" it and figured that it would pass. I have kept a close eye on her, though. The first day, I woke up and noticed poo all over her cage. This is odd, because she is normally meticulous with her potty habits. Then, she stopped running up to her bowl for her morning pellets. Then, she stopped pooping for the most part. I started to wet down her romaine well before giving it to her. I also started syringe-feeding her water. She was only nibbling at her hay. Then, she stopped eating the hay altogether and stopped drinking. I had to root around and find my bag of Critical Care and syringe-fed it to her. I only got 15 ml in her, though.

Today, we wound up at the vet. Since we had been doing everything else (tummy massages included!), the vet said that we were doing fine. Now, we just have to give her subcutaneous fluids and three doses of cisipride daily. In addition, we are supposed to give her Metacam (I had been doing that, too).

She took the sub-Q's like a pro, though. I did enlist the help of Will and my roommate, Sean, though. Will held her head/body still while I stuck the needle in and held it. Sean got to do the plunging of the fluids. All in all, we did well. We gave her 45ml of fluid. We did have to redo the stick once, though. She jumped away and I pulled the needle out. She did well for both sticks.

She's a good little girl (for now). I hope she pulls through this OK.

Well, today could have gone better for Sammi. After getting her sub-Q fluids without incident, she pulled a "flying bunny" act and jumped off of Will's shoulder. Keep in mind, he's about 6'4". Now, she isn't putting much pressure on that front left foot. She was favoring it a bit before (from a previous flying bunny episode), but now she's hardly using it. Ugh. When will this end?

Photo Update! W00t-w00t!

Toby:
img0338or.jpg

img0385t.jpg

img0374c.jpg

Sammi:
img0340i.jpg

You can kind-of see how she stands funny on her front left foot.
img0343sb.jpg

img0342a.jpg

Regiford P. Piggypants:
img0475a.jpg

img0477p.jpg

Leonardo DaFinchi and Ish Kabibble:
img0449w.jpg

Oscar the Betta:
img0457n.jpg

Little Fish Guy Mach Two (the Betta)... Will named him, not me. lol :
He's a crown-tail betta, so his fins aren't that ragged, it's just how he is.
img0470rm.jpg

Assorted fish tank photos:
Harlequin Rasboras:
img0458dv.jpg

Albino Cherry Barb:
img0463ik.jpg

Rainbow Shark (George - pronounced Hor-Hey):
img0466j.jpg

Black Kuhlii Loach:
img0465v.jpg

Striped Kuhlii Loach:
img0468ms.jpg

Albino Bushy-Nosed Plecostomus (Sir Sucks A Lot):
img0464k.jpg

OH man! Poor Sammi. I saw your infirmary thread :(

I don't know what i can do for you... sending you positive thoughts. C'mon Sammi. You can do it! Wiggle those poops out! I hope her leg is ok...

Poor little Sammi... It's such a shame when they don't always realize that bunny-parents are trying to help. I hate that when they launch themselves when I'm just seconds from putting them on the floor.

:pray:that it's just a little sprain and Sammi will get all better soon.

myheart

Thank you, everyone, for your kind thoughts. She had a few poops in her cage this morning, but still nothing like it should be.

Does anyone know if wrapping the leg would help? Or at this point, would it be stressing her out more than necessary?

I don't know for sure, but I think if you try to wrap her leg and she is perfectly alert and not in significant pain, it would drive her nuts and she'll try to get it off, causing more strain. You might just want to restrain her space so she doesn't move around too much. If it doesn't improve, if it were me I'd go to the vet to get an xray or at least for the vet to try to do some range-of-motion exercises to assess. Poor thing. Why does Will have to be soooo tall?

kirbyultra wrote:
I don't know for sure, but I think if you try to wrap her leg and she is perfectly alert and not in significant pain, it would drive her nuts and she'll try to get it off, causing more strain. You might just want to restrain her space so she doesn't move around too much. If it doesn't improve, if it were me I'd go to the vet to get an xray or at least for the vet to try to do some range-of-motion exercises to assess. Poor thing. Why does Will have to be soooo tall?
^ Ditto. ^ K, having an xray will determine if a fracture occurred. And the DVM's can assess things by feeling (as they did when Sylvia broke her digit).

[Sylvia worked overtime to remove every bandage/wrapping the vets did, and I did. She was eating the gauze wrap... and the collar thing to prevent her from nibbling and removing the gauze was not successful either.]

She's eating a bit better and pooping just a tiny bit more. It seems that her output is only at 25-50% of what it was. She is still holding that leg funny, though. Being that it is now the weekend, and I cannot afford an emergency vet visit, we will have to see how it is on Monday. The vet did notice that her paw was a little tender, but since she was already getting poked and prodded, we opted to see if she had just sprained it. Let's hope that McSammersons is just a klutz.

Latest posts

Back