Bloating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Tracey~

Reaction score
I have recently bought two french lops. The following day after getting these lops i noticed that one had not eaten anything or drank any water and his ears were very cold so my husband rang the breeder up who said to keep an eye on him and to make sure he was drinking. The following day, he had still not eaten or drank anything and wasn't even moving around very much so he was taken to the vets.

The vet said he had some gastro illness and was very bloated and dehydrated. We phoned the breeder up and she said she would take the rabbit back and we could pick another and she would get that rabbit treated. The new rabbit arrived yesterday but now the other one that we got first with the male has gone the same way and has stopped eating and her ears feel cold. Has anyone else had this problem, i am now worrying that the new baby i got yesterday morning is gonna get the same symptoms as the other two.

Are you feeding the same food that the breederdid? This is very important. Also, have you tried treating this with baby gas meds (simethicone)?

I would get some pedialyte in the ASAP (an electrolyte drink for dehydrated children).

Grind up some of the pellets and mix into a slurry using water or the electrolyte. Syringe feed the bun as much of the mixture as he/she will take.

GI Stasis is very serious and needs to be treated ASAP. You want to temp the bun with some different foods to see if they'll eat.

Do they have hay?

--Dawn

Well the first rabbit that got it has died and the female is still being treated at the breeders., My baby seems ok at the moment but so did the female, one minute ok the next poorly. He is not having a full dish of pellets and i am giving him plenty of hay during the day and making sure he is active.

We phoned the breeder up about the ill bunny she is treating and she says the bunny is eating today but has not left any droppings behind yet.

I'm glad the breeder is treating this for you. This has got to be heartbreaking for you.

Please keep us updated.

Peg

The female is still at the breeders and we have not heard anything yet. The baby male seems to be ok, i have had him 10days and he is eating plenty of hay

Hi, my name is Johanna and I am new to this forum, but I thought I would share my story since it sounds a lot like yours. I bought a Holland Lop from a pet store last Friday that was probably 2mo old (maybe younger). He looked healthy and playful at the pet store, I brought him home, watered, fed and put him in his cage. I let him hop around the living room whileI fixed up his cage. He was so funny and playful. Saturday, he was looking ok in the morning and evening. I never really saw him eat or drink but he was urinating and defacating. He had plenty of hay, food and water. I think the mistake I made was buying cat litter that was made of pine. I didn't know that it was not good for bunnies and I know he chewed on the litter at night. Sunday morning, he was very lathargic and not moving like he did the night before when I put him down on the carpet. I was really nervous b/c this was the first bunny I've had since I was little. I picked him up and held him and rubbed his feet. Finally, he layed down on the couch and he started twitching and moving his feet and head but he couldn't getup. He was not breathing heavy but I knew the symptoms were not normal for a bunny. He passed away about an hour later. He squealed a couple of times and then he died.Yesterday was a very hard day for me, esp.after seeing him healthy a day before. What could have killed him so quickly? I felt so helpless, having to watch him die and not being able to do anything.

Do you think the cat litter could have killed him. What about bloating or maybe he was not eating.

Where do youpurchase the sawdust you use in the litter. Can they safely consume it?

Thanks!

Did you buy "Feline Pine" a compressed wood pellet? That should be safe and is similar to what I use. In the compressed wood pellets the wood has been heat treated and the bad parts are burned off.

I have no idea why your baby died, but don't really think it was the litter.

It was most likely a neurological or some other hidden problem with your baby. For him to go down hill within a matter of an houris pretty quickly, I don't even know if a vet could have done anything.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through the death of your baby bunny so soon after puchasing him. Perhaps you next bunny could be from a shelter or rescue, as the chances of getting a sickly baby would be much lower. Most rescues and shelters will spay/neuter and vet check before sending them home.

--Dawn

I'm so sorry for your loss. :sad:

Baby bunnies have high mortality rates, unfortunately. He was probably too young to safely leave his mom, his immune system was compromised and he was exposed to all kinds of bugs in the pet stores.

The litter is possibly the cause if he actually ate a lot of it. Usuallyit's only considered bad for long term use, it can cause liver or respiratory problems.

The change of diet is often the culprit -- you're sure he was eating and especially drinking normally? He didn't have diarrhea or constipation?

It's very possibleyour bunny's problem was a bug and/or neurological.

Again, so sorry!

sas :(

Baby1 wrote:
he was very lathargic and not moving like he did the night before when I put him down on the carpet... he started twitching and moving his feet and head but he couldn't getup... He squealed a couple of times and then he died.
I'm sorry Baby, your bunny passed away. It must of been a terrible experience for you.
Sounded like the bunny was in a great deal of pain.Was he dropped or break his back, or had a seizure.

Binkie Free Little One. :rainbow:

Rainbows! :pink iris:

Hi, no he was not dropped or hurt or anything. He was the happiest bunny the night before. It bothers me not to know what happened to him. I can't tell for sure if he was drinking but I know he nibbled on the pine and some of the food I purchased. I don't know if it was the same kind of food he was getting at the pet store. For future bunnies, how do I know that he is drinking, if I don't actually see him drinking. The water bottle is so big and I filled it to the top, so I guess I couldn't really tell if he was or not. I plan on getting a pair next time. Any advice when bringing them home and establishing them in their crate. I have two small dogs that get very curious at times.

Latest posts

Back