bloated ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linarabbit4

Reaction score
hi! i am a rabbit owner and id say i take wonderful care of my rabbit, and this morning i wake up and my rabbits ear is flopped over and looks purple. of course im worrid and im going to take her to the vet on friday or staurday, but this afternoon i checked on her and it was puffed up and seemed filled with air. she seems to be fine but im worried. shes a Californian rabbit so her ears should be up.

Attachments

• 0F511213-9A77-4448-B86D-970C327E3409.png
    0F511213-9A77-4448-B86D-970C327E3409.png
    511.9 KB · Views: 4
  • FC1B9BC2-E5EB-416D-92F5-AA9AFA241C9B.jpeg
    FC1B9BC2-E5EB-416D-92F5-AA9AFA241C9B.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 4
100% vet visit in order.
That is called an Aural Hematoma.
Usually caused from excessive scratching/shaking the head.
A vet will need to drain the ear and suture the layers of the ear together so it doesnt fill back up or you will end up with cauliflower ear or other problems.
But the vet will need to investigate why your rabbit was shaking/scratching to cause the hematoma. Usually mites or infection are the most common causes but there are others. Which will need to be treated.
Vet sooner then later is better.

We have been trying to get a good flea medicine for her and ive seen her shake her head alot, and i thought that was why and nothing more.

Here's a list for some rabbit vets. Try and get an appointment asap. And like watermelons said, ear infection or ear mites need to be ruled out as the underlying cause, or treated as well if either is found.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back