Bleeding nail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujub793

Reaction score
I was trimming Willows nails and she squirmed right as I was cutting. Now her nail is bleeding and I can't get it to stop. I tried applying pressure and corn starch but it's still bleeding!! HELP!!!!

Really cake on the corn starch or you can also try flour. See if you can hold her a few minutes so she doesn't wipe the powder off before it can clot.

Good luck, I hate it when they squirm right at the cutting moment. :pray:

Thank for your quick response. I dipped it in the corn starch several times and it wouldn't stop and was bleeding quite abit!! But I think I got it now, she was a trooper about it hardly squirmed at all while I was doing that. Poor baby I'm sure that's gotta hurt! I know how much it hurts when I cut mine or break them off too short, it hurts for days! I feel terrible :tears2: I start worrying she's gonna bleed to death or something

I'm glad it stopped. Just for future reference, you can get a powder at the pet store called "Quik Stop" that works even better.

Luckily rabbits live in the present. A gift of something yummy and all will be forgiven. :)

I did give her a piece of banana ( her fav). Now she is hiding in her rabbit cave licking at it. The corn starch won't hurt her will it and hopefully it won't start bleeding again!!!

Nope, corn starch is safe. If it has clotted it will probably be fine, perhaps a little tender for a couple days. Just keep an eye on it and reapply if necessary.

Thanks guys, I went and bought some of that stypic powder. I hope it works better than the corn starch! Luckily Willow doesn't appear to be mad at me. Tomorrow is Walter and Jaspers turn, hopefully I won't need that stuff!

My suggestion would be to also apply pressure. Don't just dip her nail in the QuickStop and let her hop away. Dip her nail, then hold your finger against the nail where it's bleeding. :)

Latest posts

Back