Bladder sludge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Gordon

Reaction score

Description (Breed, color, weight) white ,6-7lb

Age )not sure have had him as an adult for 3years

Sex) male

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? poops are norm pee is sludgie
- when did they last use their litterbox? quite often
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? was in the litterbox alot until i did course of antibiotics
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? woodstove pellets

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? neutered
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? UTI before
- is s/he on any medications? just finished course of SMZ-TMP

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? TIM HAY ,1/8 cup of alfalfa based pellets,veggies
- when and what did s/he eat last? veggies ,tim hay this morning
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc)..no he eats like a horse

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? yes
- is the rabbit molting? yes
- any weight loss? no
- any sign of drooling? wet face? no
- runny eyes? no
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? no
- is s/he breathing normally? yes

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? no
- has the rabbit been outdoors? no
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? lots of pets ..not ill

spotted sludge in Hercules urine 3 weeks ago ,started pushing fluids ,sludge seemed to disipate but he still was in his litter box frequently ..so ive run a course of SMZ-TMP antibiotics thru him for a UTI ..now he seems not so uncomfortable but i see the sludge is back again..i know he prob needs to be flushed by my vet but my question is 75ml of sub Q fluids are given to buns for this kind of thing and altho i dont have sub Q fluids ,,he is an easy bunny to get to drink..i can easily spike his water with 100% unsweetened cranberry juice and hell drink more then the recomended 75 ml a day on his own.,.is this something that i can do safely for him or is this something that will overwork his kidneys..??..moneys a little tight right now to take him in to flush his bladder..what can i do for him until i can take him back??..'any advice would be so appreciated.

Oh bah... Sorry to hear about your boy. I have no experience with sludge. Just wanted to say I am thinking of you guys and I hope someone comes along with answers soon. :rose:

What do you consider a course of SMZ-TMP? 14 days?

He is not old so I wouldn't worry too much about putting stress on his kidneys at this point. I would do the cranberry juice in his water to try to get stuff moving out of his bladder.

Thank u Sof :)
Claire ive been giving him 1.7 cc twice a day for 10 days...is that not enough days??.
i just went and bought a couple dif kinds of unsweetened juices for his water..hes really easy to push fluids thru..shoot i can drop a blueberry in his water and hell chug it down:)...
i rescued him from people that left him and his mate behind when they moved ...yea unbelievable..i heard thru someone on another forum...when i got to him ,,,his mate was dead and he was laying in all kinds of poops and maggots and bugs....no water ,no food...no shock to find out that he had a UTI when i found him..laying in all that crap....hes had ongoing issues with a little sludge here and there before but i always flushed him out with fluids orally and it got better...im just worried that one of these times he might not get better,..or like i said i was worried about his kidneys overworking when i push so much fluids.....i really have no idea how old he is...ive had him for a couple of years and got him as an adult.
also subQ fluids are prescription only??.do their bodies absorb fluid better with subQ's rather then pushing fluids orally?? whats the benefit of subQ's ?is it for buns that arent very good drinkers?..

My male Flemish Giant had yellow sludge coming from his bladder. I read up on it and most sites said it could be ccalcium overload. A few said endive will help. Tried it, it did work. Try that and see if it helps. Worked for me! :3

Latest posts

Back