bladder expression rabbit refuses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttymeg

Reaction score
Our little man alfie had a month long stasis problem. Last week wed he had a seizure followed by paralysis. That same same as his seizure was at 1am our vet saw him as said he now has an ec infection. Hes on all the protocol for that as well as subq flyids and syringe feeding. BUT hes refusing to pee on his own and ive tried dozens of times to do it for him. Yes i know what im doing as i have a disabled bunny already that ive been his bladder for now almost 2 years.

But this guy is just absolutely holding it with all his might. After trying on him for over half an hour last night i gave him jis pan and he poured out 2 ounces for me. He weighed 7.2 friday today hes 7.11 all pee hes holding. Hes refusing to eat much barely getting 10mls in him because his bladder is so so full.

Does anybody have any ideas. This guy is so stressed out hes lost all his belly fur hes like a mole rat on his belly. I dont want to cause him more stress.

If your rabbit has enough bladder control to hold it in, could you maybe prop him up in a sitting position and hold him there seeing if he might pee on his own that way? If that doesn't work, I would suggest talking to your vet about what options might be available to you. Maybe they could do something like a catheter into the bladder. Also, you may need your vet to check and make sure there isn't any bladder sludge build up, that might be blocking up the bladder, and that's why this is happening and not because of him holding it?

No sludge or anything like that. Hes peed twice on his own since thursday. I will be jn touch with the vet tomorrow for an update anyway so will bring up his bladder issue.

But the balding of his entire belly is bothering me. I dont know if its from stress or the 105.5 fever he had. He had bloodwork done and it was normal.

Not being able to pee is quite painful I'm not sure if a rabbit can willing hold their pee like that

I woke up this morning and he peed. Checked his legs to make sure he wasnt wet. Just the bottoms of his feet were dampened. So hes somehow managing to move himself to pee. He did it right in front of his litter pan.

Latest posts

Back