Black stub where toenail used to be

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzyhugz

Reaction score
I recently went to clip one of my bunnies claws, however, one of her "toes" looked as though the claw was missing and there's just some sort of black lump there now. I'm not sure how long its been like this as my bunny has quite long hair and her toes are usually covered. I'm just worried her toe is rotting or something. There has never been any sign of blood in her hutch or on her bedding and she definitely doesn't look in pain or discomfort and is still eating and exercising normally. Does anyone have any idea what this is? Should I take her to a vet?

Thanks

Sounds like your bunny ripped off a nail. This is not unusual. Pixel ripped off the same nail 3 times. It did grow back, but sometimes they don't. I think the black lump you see is actually the "quick" of the nail. Put some triple action antibiotic, like Neosporin, on it and check it daily for infection for a few days. If it looks like it's infected take her to the vet. Don't be concerned if the nail grows back in upside down or twisted.

I have seen this a lot in my own bunnies and at the shelter, and agree with everything Flick said. You probably don't need to put anything on it unless it starts bleeding, since often they won't let you mess with it.

Sweetie has chewed a couple of her nails right down to the quick. They did grow back. Yes, watch for infection. If an infection occurs then take her to the vet. If it starts bleeding, put quickstop on it, it is a powder that will stop the bleeding. You can find it in the dog section of the pet stores, or you probably can get it from your vet.

The nail will take a while to grow back.

Also, be sure to have metacam on hand, in case this happens again.

Latest posts

Back