Black skin circle on back w thinning hair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tercar88

Reaction score
Any ideas or experience with this? Black circular skin on top of his back with thinning hair. Some white flaking. He eating well and acting normally with legs stretched out behind him. Vet saw the photos but cant see him until next week so am kinda worried! He seems sad in past months but family members feel he isnt different. Maybe to me only because i started combing his moulting fur for short sessions. He doesnt like it.

Attachments

• 20220623_085841.jpg
    20220623_085841.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220623_090154.jpg
    20220623_090154.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 7
Fur loss and dandruff along the back, will often indicate fur mites. There are other possible causes, like sebaceous adenitis, but the other causes are less common. Treatment for fur mites will usually be three injections of ivermectin two weeks apart, or one spot on application of Revolution(selamectin) will usually be enough to clear up the mites. If it is fur mites and you have a choice of which antiparasitic is used, I would ask for the single application of Revolution. It's easier and a little bit safer over the ivermectin. Some rabbits can be more sensitive to the ivermectin.

It doesn't look too bad at this point, so you're probably fine until the vet appointment next week. But if you notice any worsening of condition that causes you concern, or your rabbit stops eating, then phone the vet to get your bun seen sooner as an emergency if possible.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites
Medirabbit: fur mites

Fur loss and dandruff along the back, will often indicate fur mites. There are other possible causes, like sebaceous adenitis, but the other causes are less common. Treatment for fur mites will usually be three injections of ivermectin two weeks apart, or one spot on application of Revolution(selamectin) will usually be enough to clear up the mites. If it is fur mites and you have a choice of which antiparasitic is used, I would ask for the single application of Revolution. It's easier and a little bit safer over the ivermectin. Some rabbits can be more sensitive to the ivermectin.

It doesn't look too bad at this point, so you're probably fine until the vet appointment next week. But if you notice any worsening of condition that causes you concern, or your rabbit stops eating, then phone the vet to get your bun seen sooner as an emergency if possible.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites
Medirabbit: fur mites
Thank you!!💓

Latest posts

Back