Black or chocolate himilayan?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibribunbun

Reaction score
Hi,
I've had a Himalayan Netherland dwarf for over a year now.
I've always assumed she was black point, as choc never came to mind due to being quite uncommon round where I am.

But I've had three black rabbits, two self and one broken, so I'm a bit confused with her colour.
I have a black self mini rex now (at the same time as this nethie) and the colour looks very different.

Is this nethie actually a chocolate himi? Or do himilayan have a very light black colouration compared to other black rabbits?

Here's the nethie next to my mini rex (separate pens and need new job before I'm allowed to spay).

Thanks.

IMG_7034.JPGIMG_7026.JPGIMG_7004.JPG

Hi,
I've had a Himalayan Netherland dwarf for over a year now.
I've always assumed she was black point, as choc never came to mind due to being quite uncommon round where I am.

But I've had three black rabbits, two self and one broken, so I'm a bit confused with her colour.
I have a black self mini rex now (at the same time as this nethie) and the colour looks very different.

Is this nethie actually a chocolate himi? Or do himilayan have a very light black colouration compared to other black rabbits?

Here's the nethie next to my mini rex (separate pens and need new job before I'm allowed to spay).

Thanks.

View attachment 63379View attachment 63380View attachment 63381
I believe that is a chocolate bunny. Beautiful!

I believe that is a chocolate bunny. Beautiful!
I actually got some responses from some rabbit club presidents. Apparently, she is just a black.

One person said that Netherland dwarf s don't take to the dark himi very well and the national Netherland dwarf rabbit club president said this, which makes sense-

"Not an easy answer...
Himalayans come in 4 colours. Blacks are genetically dark sables which are so dark that they look black. Your rabbit is therefore called a black himmy but it is actually really dark brown on the points. Chocolate Himalayan is a medium sable, blue Himalayan is a dark smoke and lilac Himalayan a medium smoke.
Hope this helps
Gary Hodson"

so she is black himi. others also said choc looks very different.

I actually got some responses from some rabbit club presidents. Apparently, she is just a black.

One person said that Netherland dwarf s don't take to the dark himi very well and the national Netherland dwarf rabbit club president said this, which makes sense-

"Not an easy answer...
Himalayans come in 4 colours. Blacks are genetically dark sables which are so dark that they look black. Your rabbit is therefore called a black himmy but it is actually really dark brown on the points. Chocolate Himalayan is a medium sable, blue Himalayan is a dark smoke and lilac Himalayan a medium smoke.
Hope this helps
Gary Hodson"

so she is black himi. others also said choc looks very different.
So sorry about that!

I had thought black based on the ears. What was throwing me was the fading on the feet. I used to raise Himalayan rabbits and all points were black with very little, if any, fading. In cool weather the points get darker, but then you also have issues with smut.

Yeah, its a black himalayan. The black points on himalayans are more like a dark sepia; and when it gets warmer, it gets even lighter. You are supposed to look at the very darkest part of the himalayan to tell color, usually the tip of the nose

Latest posts

Back