Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revverress

Reaction score
I know I don't post on here often, but I have a question for bunny people:

I was taking a trip to the feed store today for some bunny food, and I decided to get some black oil sunflower seeds. I've heard they're good forrabbit coats, but I have no idea how much to feed. I'm feeding two English Lops; they're both around 10lbs.

Thanks. :)

Think of them as more of a treat. Maybe just a few a day or every few days. I do feed them daily in a mix for my dwarf hotot girl Fey, as she has trouble keeping weight and coat condition but can't have more pellets or any alfalfa hay. I mix flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and rolled oats and give her 1/4 tsp. per day- she's 3.5 lbs. I started more slowly than that in case it was too much carbs and fats for her.

What are you feeding? Some of the show formulas of breeder-type pellets have sunflower seeds in them.

The black oil sunflower seeds will put oil back in their skin and a nice shine on their coat. But a little bit goes a long way. And too much can cause them to "blow coat" (go into a sudden moult).

Feed the seeds with the shell on (that's where the oil is). It's great for a bunny with dry "winter coat". I feed my adult Flemish 1/4 teaspoon (about 7-8 seeds) every other day, all winter long. Our Mini Rex get 4-5 seeds every other day. It's a big treat and they love them. (Too many and they can be fattening) I don't feed them during the heat of the summer (June, July and August around here). I think it makes them shedmore.

naturestee wrote:
rolled oats
I saw Rolled Oats at Wal Mart in the oatmeal section. They came in a tall round container. Is this what you (and others) are referring to when you mention rolled oats?

Rolled Oats are what weeat asOatmeal. You can buy plain ordinary Quaker Oats... but it's cheaper if you can get it from a feed store.

If you do buy Oatmeal from a supermarket, only get the plain cooking oats, not the instant or flavored variety's.

It's easy on their stomach, but can be fattening. Best if given as a treat in small qualities. But keep an eye out on the droppings to make sure the rabbit doesn't get diarrhea.

"What are you feeding? Some of the show formulas of breeder-type pellets have sunflower seeds in them."

I feed a mix of 18% Co-Op, 18% Big Red, and 18% Purina something I picked up at the store yesterday... I forgot the name, but I think it's called Complete Nutrition or something like that. I'm still experimenting with different foods and proportions of them until I find what works the best. None of the foods have seeds in them, which is why I bought some yesterday.

Thanks BlueGiant; that was really helpful. :) I knew too much wouldn't be too good for them, which is why I was asking. I guess I'll start them out with 5 seeds every other day until I figure what's a good amount.

Thanks everyone! ^^

That's 18% protein? You'll probably find your rabbits have better coats if you switch to a lower protein food. Most breeds do well on 16% protein although a lot of people prefer 17% for angoras or huge breeds like Flemish.

I have trouble keeping weight on my ELops, which is why I use the 18%. The foods I feed were recommended to me by other EL breeders. I think next time I'm at the feed store I'll pick up some Purina Show Forumla 16% to mix in with their food [they were out yesterday]. Like I said, I'm still messing around with foods; I'm trying to figure out what will help the buns keep at the right weight without making them fat. Thanks for the tip, though- I'll look for some 16% next time I'm at the store. :)

I read (from a rabbit owner on her website...will try to find it) that sunflower seeds help keep rabbits warm and their coats shiny. And she puts 1 lb of seeds into every 100 lbs of rabbit feed

I meant that I've seen ground sunflower seeds in the pellet ingredients. I'd actually like to see a version of low-protein timothy pellets with sunflower seeds and flax seeds in it as a higher-fat version for rabbits that have trouble keeping weight on. It would be nice to have as many options for rabbit food as for cat food.

BlueGiants wrote:
I'd rather start with a plain feed and add seeds if I want, rather than have it come in the pellets.

Wow, I haven't seen a rabbitpellet with sunflower seeds ground up in them. (I'm kind of limited with what's available whereI live.) You're right, it would be great to have a variety of types available to fit specific needs.

But I'd like to see a lot of the pellet feeds in pet stores taken off the shelf! Gets me worried when I see those feeds with "Puffs", "Dried Vegetables" and "Seeds" mixed in... Rabbit nutrition has come a long way in the last 20 years, but it needs to come a little bit further.

Hmm, now I can't find it. I must have been thinking of safflower meal (safflower oil is nutritionally similar to sunflower oil), which I do see in several pellets. And some of the supplements like Calf Manna and Pen Pals' supplement have flax seeds.

BlueGiants wrote:
But I'd like to see a lot of the pellet feeds in pet stores taken off the shelf! Gets me worried when I see those feeds with "Puffs", "Dried Vegetables" and "Seeds" mixed in... Rabbit nutrition has come a long way in the last 20 years, but it needs to come a little bit further.

Agreed. I remember when I was little, my mom always bought Kaytee Fiesta for our little mini rex mix; I always wondered what those colored shapes were made of....

Quite frankly, I think cat and dog food needs to be looked at, too. It's frustrating when all the vets will recommend is Science Diet and Beneful. ><

BlueGiants wrote:
I'd rather start with a plain feed and add seeds if I want, rather than have it come in the pellets.

That's what I do.

My staple pellet is Kaytee Timothy Complete.
In the morning I mix in a pinch of rolled oats.
In the evening I add in a pinch of black oil sunflower seeds....maybe 10 - 12 seeds.

Chippy gets a portion of alfalfa based pellets (Kaytee Supreme) with each feeding, to help her keep weight on.
She also gets a nighttime treat of dried papaya coated with acidophiles to help keep the ph balanced in her GI.

Sunday morning, everybun gets a couple of Cherrios, too!!
I wonder if the Fruity O's would be okay as a treat? The vitamin C would be good for Chippy!

Latest posts

Back