Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maki_p29

Reaction score
I was just petting my bunny around her eyes and noticed this hard crusty thing in her fur and on further examination it appears to be a raised, bumpy, black wart like growth.

I will post pictures below.

has anyone had experience with such a thing? Any suggestions of what could be happening?

Attachments

• CAB33A34-61BF-44A5-B4B5-7E8D01A9985F.jpeg
    CAB33A34-61BF-44A5-B4B5-7E8D01A9985F.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2F707035-2948-473B-A3C4-BBADC8EF37DE.jpeg
    2F707035-2948-473B-A3C4-BBADC8EF37DE.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 6
Was able to get help with taking closer pictures and clipped some of the fur back around the area. Also I gently stretched the area to try and see it better. Will post those below. DD6D3334-35B3-4306-BFA4-488FAA3777C9.jpegC249A27A-4E0E-4F4A-8317-32EBEFCDCEDB.jpeg

I plan on taking her to the vet on Thursday for a recheck for a sinus infection she has been dealing with. Will alert them about this as well…. 😟

Does it look like dried blood from a scab?
It looks more like a mole that is kind crusty on one end. Hairs are growing out of it as pictured above. The one end that is crusty/dry is a bit raised and the other end is smooth.

Probably good you're seeing the vet A black crusty lump isn't something I would want to leave unchecked. My first concern would be ensuring it's not cancerous.

Probably good you're seeing the vet A black crusty lump isn't something I would want to leave unchecked. My first concern would be ensuring it's not cancerous.
So I had it checked and the vet said it was a “whisker spot”. Never heard of these or knew that rabbits could have them. Tried to look up some info about it on google but only came across very limited info on dogs and lions having them.

Unless your vet is a really experienced rabbit vet, I wouldn't necessarily accept that as the final answer. That's not any sort of explanation for a skin condition that I've ever come across in rabbits. Plus, whiskers aren't up there by the eye. Though it doesn't necessarily mean this is a serious skin condition either. Just not a more common one, so kind of an unknown.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back