Black Jack home from the vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatever4andnomore

Reaction score
This morning I brought my mini rex Black Jack to the vet to be neutered. I asked them to quickly look at a small lump I noticed longside his jaw line. Tech didn't seem too concerned.

Well, on my way home I get this call from the vet saying they put a needle in that lump and a bunch of puss came out! YIKES! He had an absess! I had no idea, not sure why, they said his teeth are in great shape! But I am glad that he went in for that surgery or I might not have caught the infection in time. They opened the absess and cleaned him out really good when they did his neuter surgery. The vet told me he did very well and I was able to pick him up after lunch. He looked a bit rough, poor dude, but otherwise was himself and didn't seem too upset at all.

He has been home for a few hours now and is eating and bouncing around his cage, and even came out to explore a bit. All good signs he is himself and should do great.

I was very pleased with his vet care. They really know about rabbits and talked to me about GI stasis and how important it was to make sure he was eating and pooping/peeing properly and to allow him some gentle exercise. It was well worth the hour drive. I take him back in two weeks to remove the stitches.

I am so glad we caught that absess before it got out of hand. We have been thru enough heartache loosing Thumper so unexpectedly yesterday.

Oh, and its no suprise that he was adored by all the girls there! They were just falling over him because of his cuteness! He of course was glad to enjoy the attention! He's such a lil stud muffin!

That's great!! You should put up some picks of your little stud!!

It's always such a relief after surgery, when they start eating again. I'm glad he's doing well and they caught that abscess. Did they happen to do any xrays of the head to make sure it wasn't connected to a tooth infection or affecting the jaw bone? Are they having you keep it cleaned out and giving antibiotics?

Wow! What a lucky catch! I'm really glad that this was caught before it got really bad. Black Jack is such a cutie pie and I enjoy seeing him here at RO.

thanks everyone. To answer the above question about x rays, no they didn't. However they did look over his teeth and said they were in excellent condition. He was given antibiotics at the time, but I do not have any to give him at home. I am just to keep his wound clean and dry. It looks really good.

thanks everyone. To answer the above question about x rays, no they didn't. However they did look over his teeth and said they were in excellent condition. He was given antibiotics at the time, but I do not have any to give him at home. I am just to keep his wound clean and dry. It looks really good.

Antibiotic treatment for abscesses(jaw abscesses in particular), usually needs to be several weeks to even months. I don't know what antibiotic your bun was given, but generally it's not just a one off thing, and needs to be re administered, even the long acting ones. So if further antibiotic treatment wasn't discussed, you may want to talk to your vet about it.

Just some info on jaw abscesses in rabbits. Jaw abscesses will often have to do with either an infected scent gland or with dental disease, so often xrays will be taken to rule out an abscess due to tooth infection, as well as ruling out possible bone infection.

With an abscess, it can be very difficult to clear up the infection, due to the abscess being walled off and it making it difficult for antibiotics to effectively penetrate the infection site, which is why it often requires many weeks to months of antibiotics to get the infection to clear, and sometimes even then the infection continues and requires ongoing treatment and evaluation. The infection can be especially difficult to get rid of if it is to the bone, or there is an infected tooth that hasn't been dealt with. Where jaw abscesses are concerned, aggressive treatment from the start is usually what is recommended.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/jawabscess.html
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Facial/abs_dental.htm (WARNING: GRAPHIC MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)

One thing I've learned when it comes to vets and rabbits, is many of them aren't very experienced with rabbits, and/or don't have up to date knowledge on their treatment. It's always best to go forearmed with as much knowledge as possible so that you can be an advocate for your bun. Because sometimes you need to be the one to make sure your bun is getting the correct treatment, and push for it if you don't feel they are.

I don't know if this is the case with your bun. I know if it were me, that I would want xrays as well as aggressive antibiotic treatment with the correct antibiotics. Maybe something to discuss with your vet if you have any concerns.

Did they leave the abscess site open or suture it closed? Either way I'd ideally like to see him sent home with more antibiotics, but if they sutured it back up it's possible that they implanted some antibiotic impregnated beads in there.

He was stitched up, and so far it looks good. The vet's office called me yesteday to check up on him. I will keep all that info in mind and watch him closely. he goes back in next week to get the stitches out, so I will ask.

Latest posts

Back