bizarre bunny behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamsWarren

Reaction score
Hello fellow bunny lovers.

Here’s a bit of bizarre bunny behaviour that I'm hoping someone can help me to understand. I have a 13 yo neutered male with molar issues. I take him to the vet every 2-4 weeks for a molar rasp (done without anaesthetic). I’ve noticed that there seems to be a correlation between needing a molar rasp and an increase in humping. For example, two weeks after his last molar rasp he started humping again. He was humping a lot before the last molar rasp; the humping stopped after I had this teeth done. This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed an increase in humping just before it's time for another molar rasp. Any ideas?:? One of my friends theorized that the increase in humping may be a response to pain or discomfort, but Fuzz gets daily metacam and I am not really seeing any signs of pain or discomfort. He’s even still eating and behaving normally. Of course, Fuzz goes from eating normally to not eating at all very quickly when his teeth need to be done, so maybe I’ve just not yet noticed the decrease in appetite (despite the fact that I watch him very closely...my husband probably thinks I'm a bit neurotic; I prefer to think of it more as being vigilant :)). I’ve actually booked an appointment for a molar rasp just based on the fact that it has been 2.5 weeks since the last one and he’s a humping machine again.

And while we’re on the topic of weird bunny behaviour, does anyone have any theories as to what teeth ‘chattering’ means? It’s not a grind or a tooth purr...it’s a chattering noise. I’ve had three rabbits who have made this noise; it seems to be in anticipation of something unpleasant, like receiving meds or sub-q fluids or being brushed. I do not think it is a pain response because the chattering starts before whatever I’m about to do has started. Having said that, I’ve also heard one of the rabbits make chattering noises in her sleep. It may be coincidence, but all of my chattering rabbits were female (spayed).

Thanks!

I don't know about the humping/molar connection.

As for the teeth chattering, are you talking about a sound they make with their teeth that sound like a cold person's teeth chattering? If so, that's tooth purring. It's done much like a cat purring, when they are happy!

I have no idea about the humping. It's pretty cool that you have such an active old man though! I have heard a number of different tooth sounds from my rabbits. Along with purring and grinding, I have heard swishing noises (one bun did that instead of the normal tooth purr) and a warning chatter. Some rabbits make a really wide variety of noises while others don't, so you have to kind of learn from each rabbit what their noises mean.

That would be logical, it releases all kinds of hormones and natural pain releaving neuropeptides. He is using a technique that is encouraged in human chronic pain relief issues. Animals can be so smart.

wow! one of the most informative threads I've read on teeth chattering and reasons to hump?

Buns can make all sorts of strange noises; the shelter buns I work with have "barked" at me when really p.o'd; onlyheard itfrom squirrels in my yard, but yesbuns can "bark"..

love RO for this very reason; learn something new each day.

Sorry (nd love that you have a 13 yr old bun), but sorry he has issues; but at such an advanced age, thats fantastic. Good for you

Thanks for the replies. I, too, think that pain relief is the most likely explanation for the increase inhumping. Despite the fact that he's still eating well and the humping seems to have decreased a bit, I've kept the molar rasp appointment for tomorrow. His mate is 12 yo and she's starting to have some mobility issues - the constant humping cannot be good for her.Sometimes the urge to hump seems to be quite intense and itisoftenaccompanied by lots ofhumming and buzzing and chinning things. This time it is less intense, but he's still humping more than normal. Anyway, I'll post an update onhis behaviourlater in the week.

RE: the chattering - One of my current chatterers also tooth purrs. They are two distinct noises. Her tooth purrs come in groups of three - the chattering is a constant chatter. Like someone who is very cold. In the context, I'd have to say that the chattering is in anticipation of something unpleasant. Both of my current chatterers are also quite vocal in other ways, too.

I dunno if it's what you're calling chattering, but Gus grits his teeth in a grit-grit-grit sound when he's irritated about something. Gus's cage is in our downstairs bathroom where my hubby gets dressed in the morning.He usually givesGus a treat before he goes to work. One day he didn't and Gus didn't think to much of that. When hubby turned to leave the bathroom Gus went GGGGGGRRRRRRRIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!:shock:

He also growls. Quite the talkative boy!

Hope that helps!

Rue

Even with the metacam I would think pain or discomfort could be a cause. I know someone whose bunny humped because of bladder stones - he didn't seem in pain otherwise, but the humping was his sign that something was wrong.

You could try supplying a teddy, obviously that doesn't resolve the underlying issue but might give his partner a break :)

elrohwen wrote:
Even with the metacam I would think pain or discomfort could be a cause. I know someone whose bunny humped because of bladder stones - he didn't seem in pain otherwise, but the humping was his sign that something was wrong.
I've been thinking for a while that the humping could be significant, but I was really wondering more about an adrenal tumour. The humping just so intense sometimes, and is often accompanied by chinning, buzzing and humming. Anyway, it's really interesting that you've posted this because last night I went home to find that Fuzz has started to scan. I almost canceled his vet appointment for today because he's eating so well, but being the great procrastinator, I just didn't get around to it. So glad I didn't. He's acting pretty much normal, other than he's been sleeping a lot more lately. The scanning isn't constant - the episodes are fairly short. Perhaps they are coming more frequently, I cannot really tell (yet). At least he's not spinning yet and there's no nystagmus, but the scanning is quite pronounced and definitely a new behaviour.

I will likely be looking for advice after his appointment, but I will post in a separate topic under health.

Just thought I'd post an update to this thread - The vet removed two spurs from Fuzz's molars, one of which he said was quite sharp. Fortunately, the spur did not do any damage to any of the surrounding tissue. Fuzz is no longer humping, but unfortunately, the scanning has gotten worse, so I guess I'll never know if the humping was in any way related to his molars.

(Yes, Fuzz is being treated for the scanning; I've posted under the Infirmary)

Latest posts

Back