Biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G€M

Reaction score
Gypsy is now 4 months old. She has always nibbled us playfully when petting her. Over the last few days she has been making more little noises and nibbling more when people pet her.
Today while I was laying on the sofa she jumped up to join me as she normally does. Only today she was a lot more agressive in her nibbling. She then started humping my arm. She left me alone then came back and continued to do the same thing. I asked my son to come down and get her as she kept laying on my feet or shoulder. As soon as he came down she bolted under the cage and is not interested in him petting her.

I know she is too young to be neutered but is there anything anyone can suggest to help me. Due to the medications I'm on her agressive nibbles have left me covered in bruises.

Normally she is happy for me, my sons and my BF when he visits to pet her. Also is there a reason she has chosen me over the men in the house to do this to.

This is the first time she's done anything like this. And any suggestions are very welcome. I have teenage boys so understand her hormones are probably raging but 3 teenagers under one roof is hard to manage lol.

My bunny was exactly the same at that age, and she also only did it to me. It is really frustrating, I read somewhere once to make a screech sound every time they bite to show that it hurts, but it had no effect on my bunny. All I can say is she’ll need to be neutered - some vets will do it at 4 months, it just depends on their confidence with rabbits and also her size. You should talk to your (rabbit savvy) vet and see when they will spay her. She could have just picked you as the main caregiver or her favourite human, as my bunny chose me over my female family members so doubt it’s anything to do with gender. I feel for you - this was also the hardest time I had with my bunny! Human and bunny teenagers are rotten haha!

Thank you for your reply. I spoke with my vet Monday and she said July. I am her main care giver I didn't think gender had a part in it but never hurts to ask. I thought it might have been a dominance thing as I'm head of the house.

As long as she remains happy and healthy and I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel I'm happy.

Thank you

Oh great, well as least you have a date to count down to! Yeah I don’t know for sure just relaying my experience, sounds like yours is quite similar to mine :) Just be reassured if it is like mine, there’s definitely a light at the end of the tunnel and you will get your cuddly sweet girl back :D good luck!
(And also could be a dominance thing, she thinks she’s your boss!!)

Whenever my male rabbit bites we just offer him a piece of cardboard or paper to distract him it usually works but that might just be his way to say he needs to chew sorry if this is no help.

Any help offered is appreciated . I can try offering something different to nibble at. Her new trick is to piddle on people lol. 3 times she's managed it today. You can't say no when she comes looking for attention or be mad at the sweet little face after she's been naughty. I'm such a soft touch and I think she knows it

Any help offered is appreciated . I can try offering something different to nibble at. Her new trick is to piddle on people lol. 3 times she's managed it today. You can't say no when she comes looking for attention or be mad at the sweet little face after she's been naughty. I'm such a soft touch and I think she knows it
glad i could help :) i have a rabbit of the same age and i want to try and help any way i can :)

Latest posts

Back