Biting when taking treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
So I have one greedy foodie among my bunnies. Odin, will always bite when he’s going to take a treat, he get really excited.

Even when the treats just lay in the palm, he will manage to bite the palm of the hand. When he have bitten you, he will release fast and start to lick where he bit or just take the treat and run away, depends on which person he get the treats from.

I wonder if I can teach him not to bite when he take treats, because he have manage to make a few people to bleed.

I know it’s an accident for him biting, he never bites people expect when it comes to food.

Because my other bunnies will always calmly take the treat from the hands but they are not as excited as he get when he see food.

Perhaps you could hold treats at one end, giving him plenty of room to take the treat clear of fingers until he learns what is treat and what is skin. Maybe he just isn't very aware of his teeth, it doesn't sound like he wants to hurt you. Can you squeal when he does it to tell him "ouch"!

Another idea would be to make him do a trick before he gets the treat - gives him time to think before grabbing.

Even when he do a trick he will bite the hand holdinh the treat [emoji23]

But I can try make a sound when he bite and see.

Rabbits can be reactive to your energy when presenting the treat too. I know I tend to really vocalize and get excited when I'm about to give my rabbit a treat and that pumps him up too. Being calm and not really reacting to his high energy may be helpful, if you are not doing that already.

I’m always calm when giving him a treat, I have no problem with him biting me because he never bite me hard and will always lick if he accidentally bite me. This might be because he’s more docile around me.

But for other people it’s not the same, so that’s why I want to teach him not to bite when taking treats.

He’s one of the bunnies that my siblings kids and other children get to interact with, because he’s an angle, with other people handling him. He never bites, except when it comes to treats.

So his biting behavior when he see food and treats, I need to make it stop.

60B37199-BA74-4B36-AE6D-47817465D7CB.jpg

What an adorable dwarf! Such short ears!!

Would it help to sort of hold him on the ground (not pinning him down, but just so he's still) for a few seconds before giving him a treat? Maybe it will teach him he doesn't need to be frantic in order to get the treat?

Can always try, but he can never be still. When it comes to food, he will even start to stomp if he sees food. So he’s super excited, I think he have a black hole as a stomach.

Because he always stay in the kitchen most of the day, sneaking into the garbages, begging for treats, searching for all the crumbles on the floor and follow people when he sees them going to fridge.

Him sitting on the bucket which it’s filled with rice, if someone try to open it. We need to distract him or he will jump into it [emoji28]

IMG_5040.jpg

Can’t understand why he love food so much, he’s not starving but he’s so fixated on food and treats.

Latest posts

Back