Biting the bars of her cage, is that a bad thing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooklyn893

Reaction score
My sweet 2 1/2 year old rex bunny was a rescue at the SPCA and her adoption sheets said she does bite. And she does get scared easily but she rarely bites me anymore. I let her out for a couple hours at a time twice a day, feed her once at night, alot of hay during the day, her water is constantly filled. Why is she biting the bars of her cage so much? It's every day throughout the day she does it and I don't know why but I just hope nothings wrong. I've given her toys to chew on and she doesn't touch them. Just the bars and the edges of her litter box. I'm worried about her but not sure if this is a serious issue or not. :/

It can be hard on their teeth and if they do it enough, I believe I read that it can cause them to develop teeth issues. It's recommend you try to discourage the biting, either by letting them out of their cage more or having interactive toys or more things for them to do inside the cage. Ex: creating a dig box, offering something they can shred or dig at. I give mine sea grass, coconut fibre mats. Sophie spends hours rearranging her nest. After she completely annilates it, I buy her a new mat. She also has log ramps, willow balls, sisal balls, baskets, bundles of sticks etc.

I have a rabbit that does this too and her bunnies are only 5 weeks old (6 weeks this week) and have already begun doing this even with chew things! I have no idea why they do this but it seems a natural instinct? no idea how to get them to stop as they have all the chew toys.

Would getting another bunny, preferably female help with her bordem if that's possibly why she's biting the cage so much? I've tried many different logs and toys and she still does it. I take her out as much as I can, but I wonder if having another bunny would be a good thing or bad thing. Any suggestions ?

Try a hanging toy (make sure there's no loops for head or feet to get stuck), or securing an untreated wooden spoon to the cage bars with zip ties. Some rabbits don't like chew toys unless they can get a firm hold and tug on them, securing them to the bars like that may encourage her to chew on them more. :)

Getting another bunny for the purpose of correcting your current bunny's behaviour may backfire on you. It could also help but unfortunately you can't know for sure until you get another rabbit. Then there's the issue if trying to bond them.

Have you tried to give your bunny a dig box? Or offer something they can rip and dig up like an old phone book or a sea grass or coconut fibre mat?

i have a french lop that does that. and trust me. being a 15 pound rabbit. he does A LOT of damage! drives me nuts.

Latest posts

Back