Biting Bars?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyTheBunny

Reaction score
Hi guys! so my indoor Holland Lop doe Lucy is biting the bars on her cage a lot. She gets time outside of her cage for a few hours a day, chew toys, a large house with more then enough space, food and water but shes still biting the bars! Ive tried spraying her with some water when i find her biting which worked for a few minutes then shes goes back at it, bopping her on the nose gently, and clapping loudly when she does it but nothing works! Anyways, I'm thinking about putting something that doesn't taste good on the bars to deter her but I dont know what i should use that's homemade, I dont want to buy anything lol. If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated! Thank you very much!

Hi guys! so my indoor Holland Lop doe Lucy is biting the bars on her cage a lot. She gets time outside of her cage for a few hours a day, chew toys, a large house with more then enough space, food and water but shes still biting the bars! Ive tried spraying her with some water when i find her biting which worked for a few minutes then shes goes back at it, bopping her on the nose gently, and clapping loudly when she does it but nothing works! Anyways, I'm thinking about putting something that doesn't taste good on the bars to deter her but I dont know what i should use that's homemade, I dont want to buy anything lol. If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated! Thank you very much!

Maybe you could try to distract her with foraging? You could place herbs or pellets in her hay and it should keep her occupied for a bit :)

You can cover the bars with fleece blanket or cardboard, or other chewing toys that she can chew on.

My own bunnies will chew the bars sometimes but I covered the bars and they started to chew the other toys. For example they started to chew my bed instead that’s made of wood 🙄

She probably wants out. Can you not bunny proof a room? Bunnies need a large amount of space 24/7. Please don't punish her or put anything on the bars, those are not solutions anyway.

My rabbit from time to time will chew on the bars that I use to cover where the wifi is. When she tries that, I say "Trixie, NO" in a firm voice. If she tries again, I do a grunt noise which makes her stop. If I have to get up a third time, she'll run away from the area and distract herself with something else. If she continues to not listen, then she goes into her hutch for a "time out".

Maybe cover the bars with cardboard so that she chews on that rather than the bars. Do you have a picture of your rabbit's area?

My female rabbit would chew on the bars too. I started putting toys as well as willow branches weaved in and out of the bars. This seemed to help and now she just chews on the cardboard houses I gave her. :)

Latest posts

Back