Bites and scratches!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahsop

Reaction score
Hi

My male rabbit Charlie has started to bite and scratch me when I take him from his hutch to the run, Could it be the smell of the other rabbits which is anoying him? I have started to put my hand on his head and say NO when he does it? Anything else I can do.....he has started to really hurt!

Sarah x

Hi

Sorry a more info would have been good hey!

He is approx 6 months old now and has been neutered. Loads of info in the blog my bunnies, basically I bought a pair and had some bad advice and ended up with three lovely kitens, so he is without his buddy (I do think they miss each other) The babies are almost 3 weeks old now and are hopping around.

Any ideas?

sarah x

You said "taking him from his hutch". Many bunnies don't like tobe picked up, so this could be part of it too. Is the hutch door close to the ground? Couldyou just let him come out on his own? This might help. Try not picking him up and letting him come to you, after he learns to trust you, his behavior may change somewhat to where he won't mind you picking him up.

How long before he started this did he lose his buddy?
In addition to you saying no ( not sure if a hand on the head is the best thing, may make him mistrust human hands), you could squeal loudly like rabbits do when they are hurt. My Buns seem to respond well to this. They stop and look as if to say, ' Oh, I'm sorry , I didn't realize." And then usually will start to groom themselves. If though, I have really made them mad, I will pretend to groom myself ( wipe my eyebrows, brush my fingers through my hair etc) & then I give them a few minutes of space and time and go back and try again after things have calmed down.
Good luck!

~Sealy

His hitch is way off the ground and up until Lola had the babies he would sit on your lap like a baby!

I am planning on making the garden totally rabbit friendly then when I am about he can come and go as he pleases!

Thanks for the tips!

sarah x

Latest posts

Back