Binkie...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Jim, you are such a good Bunny Daddy. You must be exhausted. I hope these new stitches stay stuck (if you know what I mean).

And Binkie - you be nice to your Daddy and Danielle. They are doing what is good for you, and you really don't want to wear an embarrassing collar, do ya?!

Jan

Mommy DIDNT post these... Introducing... QUEEN BINKIE

binkiedork1.jpg

binkiedork2.jpg

binkiedork3.jpg

ohh poor binkie,she looks really annoyed.

but at least she is at home,with her family where she belongs:)

cheryl...

Oh poor bunny she has been through so much. I hope she finally gets better with the collar on. But watch her, Bunnies who are stitch rippers tend also to be collar rippers! Hope she is well soon.

Oh, Bless her heart. She does look really annoyed :tantrum:.Still, as long as it stops her from chewing the stitches. However, when it comes time to take it off, I would move away from her teeth - at great speed!!!:nerves1

Jan

Update time, once again.

Long, late night again!!

I couldn't pick Binkie up until after 9pm so by the time I got home and got her settled in it was around 10:30pm.

The vet said that Binkie had managed to pull out the last stitch about 10 minutes after I dropped her off. The incision was wide open at that point. They had to put her under general and clean/repair/restitch the incision. She has to wear a collar for two weeks. Binkie REALLY disapproves of her collar and is constantly trying to get it off.

She was very groggy when we first got home so I laid down by her cage to keep her as calm and reassured as possible. She did a littleeatin/drinkin/poopin/peein. The only thing she had any problems with were eating from her bowl and getting in and out of her litter pan. I hand fed her a few times until she kind of got the hang of keeping the collar out of they way. I laid a blanket down over the wire bottom of her cage and explained to her that it was ok to poop/pee anywhere until she felt better. This worked out very well because the blanket kept her cecals from falling through the wires and she was able to consume them this morning.

I got up and checked on her every hour last night to make sure she hadn't figured out how to get the dorkie collar thingie off. I think she was starting to get annoyed with me shining a flashlight on her every hour. By this morning she was navigating around pretty well.

I'm going to try to get home at lunchtime to check on her.

Giving her meds this evening should be a real riot :?.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
Giving her meds this evening should be a real riot :?.

~Jim

At least she's eating her cecals. Otherwise guess who gets to help with that?:yuck

You're doing such a good job with her! Remember, study leather gloves are your friends!

:hug2

naturestee wrote:
At least she's eating her cecals. Otherwise guess who gets to help with that?:yuck
LOL!!

At least Binkie seems to be adjusting to the collar. And, as she didn't rip your hand off when you hand fed her, perhaps she has called a truce. I guess you'll find out when you give her meds ;)

Jan

Jim,

You're such an awesome bunny dad. She has no idea how blessed she is to have you for a dad. You're also so creative in coming up with things to help you with your bunnies (like the towel in the cage).

You're in our thoughts and prayers (as is Binkie). Please continue to keep us updated and tell Binkie we all love her...give her some pets for the forum folks?

Peg

I was able to get home for lunch.:D

Binkie is doing well. She was still wearing her collar (good thing, too) and her incision looked much better....not as swollen/red. She looked a bit dejected, but I would too if I had to wear a dorky collar.

It looked like she had been into her pellets and hay, but I hand fed her some oats, pellets & hay. She gobbled them up and then had a drink of water on her own. I alsogave her a small amount of romaine and I saw that she was eating it when I left.

What really sad is that she thinks she can still groom/clean herself. She goes through all the motions, but she's really only licking the inside of the collar. Awwww:(

~Jim

JimD wrote:
What really sad is that she thinks she can still groom/clean herself. She goes through all the motions, but she's really only licking the inside of the collar. Awwww:(

~Jim

But she'll have the cleanest collar around...

:bunnydance:

Peg

Good morning All!!

Binkie is doing okay. Collar's still on....stitches intact....incision looks good.

She's very skittish now whenever anybody gets near her cage. She runs around like a little maniac, and with the collar on she keeps getting caught and hung up on things (water bottle, hay rack, food bowls, litter pan, blanket, you name it). I try not to bother her too much so as to avoid stressing her out. I still checked on her every hour last night to make sure she didn't do a Houdini act with her collar.

Giving her the Baytril last night was stressful on both of us. Worse part is getting hold of her and wrapping her up in a blanket. By the time I got her all set, she was shaking, breathing hard and fast, and making all kinds of huffing and whimpering noises (come to think of it....SO WAS I !!). And this is why we prepare everything we need BEFORE picking up the bunny.

Batril must taste REALLY bad. I've been mixing it with banana baby food. The first time I mixed it 1:1 and she fought me the whole time and kept trying to spit it out. Last might I mixed a bit more baby food in (2:1) andshe seemed to take it easier. Maybe because it didn't taste as bad?? Yes? No?

Eating and drinking...poopin and peein...all good. It's funny the way she uses her hood/collar to scoop up her pellets and oats. She doesn't want anything to do with me hand feeding her, but her output is good so she must be eating and drinking enough.

This morning she was quite the messy bunny. I think I may have given her a little too much papaya and her poops and cecals were a little soft and mushy. She had managed to get cecals smeared on the outside of her collar so I had to clean it off. Can you say, "I grabbed the wrong end of the chainsaw"..?

I was concerned that she wouldn't be able to consume her cecals, so I had put a blanket down.....not such a good idea.....tossed the icky blankiethis morning. The vet said that she should be okay without the cecals, but we can give her Bene-bac if the antibiotics cause any problems with her GI tract. So now we only have a big enough blanket for her to lay on. Food and hay are at the end that has wire only....she poops a lot while she eats so it falls thru the wire and we don't have such a mess. She's using her litter pan, but I think she's having a hard time getting in and out of it. We can't wait until we get our collar off!!

And this is really weird!!! Last night I got all in a panic because she had managed to move the collar around enough so that her dewlap was on the OUTSIDE. The vet had attached the collar with her dewlap inside so she wouldn't be able to scratch at it.....and she had attached it as tight as possible so she wouldn't be able to pull it off. I ran in to call the vet and she said I could try to redo the collar, but I would probably need two people to do it. I told her that I would try. SO i go back into the bunnie room and Binkies dewlap is back INSIDE the collar ***jim scratches head***. I checked to see how much tighter I could make the collar and found that it was pretty tight...as tight as it could get before impairing her breathing/swallowing. This went on all night....the dewlap's in....the dewlap's out....etc. I really don't want to go back to the vet but if she starts to get at the incision I may have to go back to see what the vet can do with the collar. The incision looked a little irritated (probably from the collar rubbing on it), but the stitches were intact and it didn't look like she had scratched at it. We'll just keep a close eye on her.

The vet goes on vacation next week so I'm hoping Binkie will be well on her way to healing by then ***crosses fingers***.

Long post...sorry
~Jim

Latest posts

Back