Bindy and the new additions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariel

Reaction score
(Please bare with me this is a little long)

I have been wanting to get another bunny for quite a while now, evenmore so since I helped a rabbit from around the corner from us who Ifound out on the nature strip wet, injured and not cared or wanted onemorning. That in itself is another whole story, needless to say wedidn't bring him home, we took him to our vet and when I found theowner she was very glad to be rid of him, he was old and sick yaddayadda yadda, after a LOT of talking and thought we decided we weren'tready to keep him (we also spoke to our vet and got advice about him).This was several months ago.

Well while we were away at a show, there is an animal nursery there,the money they raise from animals goes straight into helping an animalshelter in that town. The husband and wife there are lovely people,very caring and we also got our dogs from them 2yrs ago. (yes we workat this show every year). It's all about the animals for them, they runa tight ship with their animals, how they are housed, fed, who isplaced with who etc.

Well we were going to bring home 2 babies and then when we seen Gizmowe couldn't leave her behind, so we brought her home with us as well.Going from 1 rabbit to another 3 is a very big step and I was preparedto bring home 2 but 3 made me wonder. I can say it's been 1 week sincethey all came home and all is going well so far. Actuallythings are going better than we thought. I am actually very happy withthe choices we made and my family have been very helpful as well.

Firstly, this house is Bindys house and we were prepared for the issuesthat come up when bringing home new bunnies to a home that has beenhers for so long (bindy has been living with us since December lastyear). I have read and read posts here and many many sites on bonding,what can possibly happen as they get older together, and whatmay or may not happen when introducing new bunnies. Like I said I havewanted another bun for quite sometime but I really felt I wasn't readyto. I wasn't ready time wise, space wise, money wise and mostimportantly I didn't know Bindys personality well enough (ok I don'tclaim to know a zillion things about bunnies and I know things canchange).

In saying all of this we have started fully supervised play time withthem all in the loungeroom only. We have made a safe area and there areplaces the babies can hide if they feel the need to get away. Over thepast week Bindy has mounted, groomed and layed down with them all.There has been a couple of times where things have gotten a little"hairy" but no fighting. It's more like Bindy letting them know "I amthe Boss here" She ran around chinning everything including us, and nowshe even chins the babies. I know it's early days yet, we arebuilding a condo for the new babies but they will not be joined toBindys condo, the condos will stay seperate until we feel that they allcan be safely together. In the meantime the babies are housed inBindys' old house, Bindy has hopped in there when the babies have beenout and sniffed all over the place and seen how things are set up andthen hopped out again.

I have to say I am so very happy and proud of the way Bindy has handledthe whole situation, she seems happy and she even laid right down nextto all the babies lastnight on the rug.

Before you ask where are the pictures..... They are on the way as soon as I post this.

*edited for a big typo*

This is Roger

roger.jpg

This is Amber

100_0653.jpg

And this is Gizmo

gizmo.jpg

Bindy windy (yup she has grown)

bindy.jpg

100_0679.jpg

Bindy keeping an eye on everyone before deciding to join them

100_0734.jpg

What is that???

100_0692.jpg

Oh Ariel, they are adorable. What abunch of cuties. Congratulations!! I know you are an awesome bunny momand those little are lucky to have come to your house.

Bindy looks great. W:shock:W, she got big. She looks so softand snuggable. Giveall of your babies welcome home kissesfrom me and hugs from my bunch.

Tina

Thankyou, it was a very big decisionbut we are all glad we made it, and it was a joint decision to bringhome more bunnies so that's even better.

I took some more pics of them earlier.
I might have to make a home thread to store all these pics in, I justlastnight sorted out all my pics on here and I said to Brett "who isthe most photographed member of our family?"
His reply "Bindy"

And yup he was right LOL

Bindy
100_0800.jpg

Gizmo
100_0796.jpg

Amber
100_0779.jpg

100_0788.jpg

100_0790.jpg

Roger

100_0793.jpg

100_0791.jpg

They all look like such sweeties! Whatbreed are they? I'm so jealous that Bindy isn't fighting withthem. Mocha is such a beast when it comes to new bunnies.

AWWWWW Your new family members are socute. Bindy is just as pretty as ever!! It is nothard to see why you could not leave Gizmo behind:p. It is hard not to want morerabbits. I have 2 and would like more but I knowthat 2 I cancare for really well, more than that Ido not know. I enjoyed all the pictures. Yourbabies seem to be a pretty good size, Will they be as big asBindy? Thanks for sharing.Beckie

So cute! :love:

I'm just glad it's you that has 3 babies and not me... I can barely keep up with ONE!:embarrassed:

Aw, Ariel. They're all adorable, but Gizmo is my personal favorite (of the new bunch).

It looks like Bindy is doing well with the new additions. What a sweet girl.

Laura

Congratulations Ariel!

Reading your story makes me envious of you. Howlucky of you to bring three home and havethings work out so well.

I havea gone through a similar situation asyou. Pebbles has being living with us sinceNovember last year. And so many times I wondered if we shouldget another. I am so worried that because our first is suchan angel, getting a second would be howdo I say... not an angel.:p

Recently, we were preparing to take in a bunny fromsomeone who might not be able to keeptheirs. We had a LOTof thinking and talking like you had. I even wentout and bought a new cage and madea spacein the basement for a run. However thingsturned out fine and we didn't have to take the bunny in.

In November we have arabbitshow intown.:bunnydance: Itwill be my first. I better not let my wife readyourthread, or she will neverlet me go to it.

What do I say when I go to theshow? "Honey, I'mjust going thereto checkfor Woody Pet." :angel:

Rainbows! :D

Their soo CUTE!:angel: Espesaly Rodger and Amber(but their ALL ADORABLE :D). :) Congrates, and good luck rasing all ofthem! ^_^ *give's you a thumbs up*

Thankyou to you all, it's only early days yet and things can change, weare taking the slowly does it approach, and yes Bindy has been verygood about it all. Mind you they are never left alone, there is alwayssome one watching them when they are out playing. And they are gorgeoushuh LOL

Tina - Thanks, and yes Bindy has grown she is now 4lband she loves to snuggle, quite often she will hop up on our laps orour feet and just lay there taking all the lovins' we give her .

Naturestee - I am not 100% certain of their breedingas they were from the shelter, but I think that Amber has netherlandmix and Roger could possibly have some polish in him, as for Gizmo I amclueless, so if you have any ideas please feel free to tell me.
They were all buns that came over to me and were happy for me to petthem I didn't have to pick any of them up first, I picked them up afterthey came to me.

2bunmom - Taking on new buns is a huge step and I have thoughtand talked and read and read and thought some more before doing it.They should all roughly end up the same size although Bindy is aHimmie, her mum and dad were huge!!

MBB & luvabun - I know it 'aint gunna be easy Amber isthe one we have to watch she is very similar to Bindy when she wasyounger, running through my curtains, under the recliner , troublebubble for sure LOL

Pet_Bunny - I understand what you are saying, Ithought similar things as well, what if the next isn't as good asBindy, Bindy was a funny little babie when she came to live with us, inand out of stuff until she wore herself out and then she was quitecontent sitting with us.
And it was actually Bretts mum and he who said the nurseryshelter has new bunnies, and it was along the road to the loos, sowatch out for these words "just going to the loo" LOL

Like I said though it's early days yet, but we are very lucky that Bindy is as good as she is.
I hope it stays that... nope I will not even finish that sentance for fear of ginxing myself LOL

P.S. Laura - Gizmo loves to play with this little ball, shepushes it all round the room (it's actually quite funny to watch)

Ariel,

I'm just in love with Gizmo. Her coloring and facial featuresare a lot like my Toby's, but he's anAmericanFuzzyLop. She looks kinda like a Jersey Wooly to me, but withshorter fur (although it's hard to tell how long it is in the pics) andlonger ears.

Whatever she is, she's adorable!

:)

Laura

Laura,

you could be right, I didn't even think of that, I have searched and tried but it's hard with so many mixed breeds.
I think Roger is close to maybe being mixed along those linesas well, Rogers' fur is fluffy like Gizmos, Roger has a darker blackyblueish patch on his nose area.
I keep thinking polish type lines maybe as well.

Maybe I should post a post to ask for peoples thoughts on their breeds.

And yup Laura she is adorable, her and Roger just run up to you andnudge you and then run away as if to say "hello, watch me" LOL

WOW, 3 new babies! Good luck with those sweet munchkins. I'm going to my first show next week, i doubt i'll come home alone ;)

Nicole

Latest posts

Back