Big changes coming for Freya. Advice needed.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Monkey

Reaction score
My parents are moving in with us this weekend. The only available room is the room that Freya has lived in for the year that we've had her (she was born in March of last year and we bought her a few months later in July). She will be moved out into the living room. The living room brings new smells, new noises, new surroundings, more contact with visitors, and what I'm most worried about - the cat. The cat won't have access to her, but I'm afraid that he will freak her out. Her current living set up is a decent sized area with 30" fencing that keeps her enclosed in about a 4'x4' area until someone is available to free roam her in the room and watch her. Her new set up will be a squared 4'x4' x pen that is 42" tall and will have a cloth cover. The cover is for her, not necessarily the cat. The cat is very fat, very lazy, and honestly not the sharpest tool in the shed. He can't even get over a baby gate and we have to have stairs set up for him to be able to get up on the ledge of the picture window in the living room to enjoy some sun and scenery. When we first got Freya she was terrified for a few days as she got used to everything. I saw her jump at least 4' right over her enclosure with ease when she got spooked. She's never done it again, but I know she can. So the cover will keep her from jumping out if she's spooked and from becoming the play thing of a very fat low IQ cat. She will of course have her litter box, her hidey box she's had all this time, and the carpets she's had as flooring for a long time so her scent and enclosure surroundings will be familiar. Every day for a few hours the cat will be put up in my room and we will use her current fencing to vastly expand her area for some exercise - the next best thing since literal free roam is not an option out there. So for people who have moved rabbits, how hard is it on the rabbit? And how do rabbits react to seeing new predatory creatures? Any advice, comments, etc is very welcome.

My rabbits are comfortable around our cats, they are chill with being around them. I think if Freya and your cat first meet with a cage between them, I think they will be fine. She might be a little nervous for a day or so, but she will get used to him quicker than you think.

She's totally chill in her new area and pen. She wasn't nervous at all. The cat is more scared of her than she is of him (she's not scared at all). The pen is 48"x48" and expands another 3' when I open the doors and let her roam more freely. I zip tied the old fencing to her new pen to make this happen. Then the doors will be held open by clipping them to the fencing with dog leash clips when it's time for her to roam. At 42" high my fears about the cat being able to get over the top without a cover have been squashed. Seeing it in person, he just can't do that.

IMG_20220526_031534493.jpg

IMG_20220526_031524138.jpg

Latest posts

Back