best way to buy ceader fresh in bulk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathy5

Reaction score
we have made a change in out house

we moved cocoa from the family room in the basement of the house to the top floor where the kids bed rooms are

I felt bad having him down there all alone & now we will not have to move him when we have a wood stove

he loves being upstairs with the kids he gets so much moreatention from them now you know the saying out of sight out of mind well that was going on in the house with him being down in the family room the great thing is this too because of where he is we can leave his cage open from dusk until dawn with some one being home that is

what I need to know is this where can I buy a BIG bag of carefresh litter I get a 50 letier bage of like 20 bucks but I have to change cocoa's cage every day now so I am going through this a lot faster

what do you all use for thoes of you who have to change bunny's cage every day???

I want the most for my $$

thanks

Kathy

I went through a time when I was changing 11 hutches/cages everyday (due to health problems)and we were ploughing through 30 litre bags of wood pellet litter in 5 days, or so. That was the best deal I could find. It was £8.99 but very good. Not as cheap as over there, but I was impressed.

I know that's not useful in the slightest because I just went out and bought stuff more often.

It sounds like moving your bun has made a really positive change. What a lucky bun :)

Wood pellets are generally cheap. They are similar to yesterday's news litter, but made out of wood not paper. There are many brands such as woody pet. Feed stores sometimes carry them as horse stall bedding. A 40lb bag can be $5-$15 depending on where you get them. Wood stove pellets also work.

These work best in a litter box, and they abosrb really well. You can use a few handfuls in the cage bottom.

Using a blanket in the cage for sleeping is good to as wood pellets are not very comfortable to lie on. :)

I use actual wood shavings for the Belgians and in nest boxes, but in my trays and everyone else I use the same sawdust we use for the horses. Its nice for just skimming poo off the top if I want to spot clean and its very absorbent.

Check around your area for a sawmill, they usually sell their sawdust for really cheap, we built up the walls on the truck uber high and pulled a trailer with walls the same hieght and filled them both for like $100, which with 8 horses lasted us 5-6 months.

You juast have a couple bunnies right? If you've got some empty 55 gallon drums laying around (or they're cheap to buy too) and then just have those filled and put in the back on a pickup truck. I'll bet it wouldn't cost you more than a few dollars to fill one of those things.

The sawdust is also fun because I can use a cat litter scoop and sift it. My indoor bunny cages get spot cleaned about every other day or so. It sure beats pulling the whole tray and wasting everything.

Before changing litter, please view this video. An exotic vet discusses healthy vs. unhealthy litter. It's only about 2 minutes long and has a really wonderful Flemish Giant in it!

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTT7Dr_pPbc[/ame]

Ok-for wood pellet litter, anything that has been kiln dried is safe. The label should tell you that. Like I said, Woody Pet is safe, obviously Equine Pine is, I know there are more brands of pellets that are safe and can't think of the name of them right now.

I only have the wood pellets in the litter boxes, but my buns have no problems lounging in their litter boxes.

Once the pellets are peed on, they crumble and become soft. I also have hay in my litter boxes, but only on one end.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back