Best type of litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JV15

Reaction score
What type of litter box should I buy. I’ve never litter trained a rabbit but I want to try

Hi, can you give more info about your rabbit, some pics of your current setup would help too.

Generally you want litterbox big enough so he or she can fully stretch in it, for an average size rabbit many people use cat litter pans with high borders, min size 50x40 cm (approximately 20x15 in inches) with high min 18cm (7 inch), because some rabbits can lift their tail high enough to pee behind their toilet if sides not high enough. Many people use larger boxes and fill them with a layer of absorbing wood pellets and some hay on top of that so they can eat and do their business same time.

If you have a dwarf or Flemish giant you may want different litterboxes for them so would be handy to know more about your rabbit

It is explained beautifully by @Blue eyes on her website about keeping rabbits indoors, here's a link to toilet training but check out the rest of her site you will find all basics with pics and dos and donts

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

Hi, can you give more info about your rabbit, some pics of your current setup would help too.

Generally you want litterbox big enough so he or she can fully stretch in it, for an average size rabbit many people use cat litter pans with high borders, min size 50x40 cm (approximately 20x15 in inches) with high min 18cm (7 inch), because some rabbits can lift their tail high enough to pee behind their toilet if sides not high enough. Many people use larger boxes and fill them with a layer of absorbing wood pellets and some hay on top of that so they can eat and do their business same time.

If you have a dwarf or Flemish giant you may want different litterboxes for them so would be handy to know more about your rabbit

It is explained beautifully by @Blue eyes on her website about keeping rabbits indoors, here's a link to toilet training but check out the rest of her site you will find all basics with pics and dos and donts

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
Thank you so much I will look into it. We have 4 different rabbits, netherland dwarf, Holland lop, Polish and Lionheads. So they are all on the smaller size with my Holland lop being the biggest, none are full grown yet they oldest is bout 3.5 months so no one is full grown yet

Thank you so much I will look into it. We have 4 different rabbits, netherland dwarf, Holland lop, Polish and Lionheads. So they are all on the smaller size with my Holland lop being the biggest, none are full grown yet they oldest is bout 3.5 months so no one is full grown yet
Are they boys or girls or mixed? At 3.5 months some rabbits are able to breed so I would separate them if you haven't done it yet. Toilet training with 4 babies living together it's a very different story!
Also are they free-roam or living in a cage/playpen or they all have their separate housings?
3,5 months is an age when babies are getting into their teenage phase and boys will start humping girls and other boys, also will be marking every corner, walls and everybody by spraying their urine, especially if girls are around. So toilet training would be pointless at that point if they are mixed all together.

Latest posts

Back