Best time to get spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, I’m sorry I know I’ve been asking alot of questions, but I’m very paranoid, I get worried easily and overthink everything, and google only gets me more worried. Haru is now six months, I talked before about her peeing outside of her litter box and starting to make noises, and I thought that it was time for her to get spayed. But she only peed three times and never did it again, and I just realized that the noises was her sneezing. I already made an appointment for the surgery, should I wait more?because the vet is in another city and they said that they will come to my city at the end of the month, and because of that they are very expensive even if it’s just checking her up and I don’t think it’s a good idea to pay more than a hundred dollars just for them to tell me to see them again next month.

Don't worry about posting so much, you do realize we joined this forum to ask and answer questions right? ;)

Peeing outside of the litter box is normal for a rabbit that is not spayed yet, but I'm glad she stopped because that sounds annoying. Sneezing is not good. Has her hay been dusty recently? Does she have a wet/runny nose? I wouldn't wait to get her spayed unless she has difficulty breathing because that would make anesthesia dangerous.

Don't worry about posting so much, you do realize we joined this forum to ask and answer questions right? ;)

Peeing outside of the litter box is normal for a rabbit that is not spayed yet, but I'm glad she stopped because that sounds annoying. Sneezing is not good. Has her hay been dusty recently? Does she have a wet/runny nose? I wouldn't wait to get her spayed unless she has difficulty breathing because that would make anesthesia dangerous.
Sometimes I feel like her nose os a little bit damp, I don’t see any discharge, and her paws look clean. The hay is a little bit dusty but I don’t see her sneeze when she is eating. It’s usually when she’s sleeping or when she’s free roaming around the house.

Please ask all these questions it’s SOO important that you get a rabbit savy vet

https://rabbit.org/faq-how-to-find-a-good-rabbit-vet/
We don’t have rabbit savvy vet nor exotic animal vet in my country. But the vet that I found is better than the others, I also know someone who got their rabbit spayed there. Even when I looked them up, all the complaints were about how expensive they are, but expensive and knowing what they’re doing is better than cheap and making things worse.

For my sake please ask these questions,
can you can link the vet.

Sorry I’m being annoying but it’s really important.
1. You don’t want the vet overdosing on anesthesia
2. Food should’nt be with held, rabbits are physically incapable of vomiting, it would only lead to GI stasis
3. Dog & Cat medications can be toxic to rabbits

For my sake please ask these questions,
can you can link the vet.

Sorry I’m being annoying but it’s really important.
1. You don’t want the vet overdosing on anesthesia
2. Food should’nt be with held, rabbits are physically incapable of vomiting, it would only lead to GI stasis
I don’t really know about anesthesia and medications, but the person that got their rabbit spayed there is happy about it and her rabbit healed and they didn’t have problems. I will ask the vet about the other stuff. What should the anesthesia and other drugs be?

Sometimes I feel like her nose os a little bit damp, I don’t see any discharge, and her paws look clean. The hay is a little bit dusty but I don’t see her sneeze when she is eating. It’s usually when she’s sleeping or when she’s free roaming around the house.
I wouldn't worry about sneezing then, she probably just got dust in her nose.

I don’t really know about anesthesia and medications, but the person that got their rabbit spayed there is happy about it and her rabbit healed and they didn’t have problems. I will ask the vet about the other stuff. What should the anesthesia and other drugs be?
When asking questions the main ones you will want to ask are:
1. How often do they spay/neuter rabbits?
2. What is the fatality rate of the rabbits they spay/neuter? They should only lose about 1 out of 50.
3. Do they suggest that a rabbit eats before surgery? They should tell you to feed your rabbit before the surgery to prevent stasis.
4. Do they provide pain meds for spays? Most vets do not provide pain meds for neuters because it is a very simple surgery, but for spays, a vet should provide Medicam for your rabbit.

Since you had a friend who got their rabbit spayed there and everything went smoothly I wouldn't be scared. I bet Haru will do great!

Just going to point it out we often use cat/dog medicine to treat bunnies. It all come down which medicines it is. Sometimes even human medicines will be picked to treat pets.

For example metacam pain medication for rabbits, you are supposed to get the one that’s prescribed for dogs but the dosage will need to be changed. So it’s fitted for the bunny.

I wouldn't worry about sneezing then, she probably just got dust in her nose.

When asking questions the main ones you will want to ask are:
1. How often do they spay/neuter rabbits?
2. What is the fatality rate of the rabbits they spay/neuter? They should only lose about 1 out of 50.
3. Do they suggest that a rabbit eats before surgery? They should tell you to feed your rabbit before the surgery to prevent stasis.
4. Do they provide pain meds for spays? Most vets do not provide pain meds for neuters because it is a very simple surgery, but for spays, a vet should provide Medicam for your rabbit.

Since you had a friend who got their rabbit spayed there and everything went smoothly I wouldn't be scared. I bet Haru will do great!
I just asked the vet and they told me that she shouldn’t eat 8 hours before the surgery so the anesthesia would work. What’s should i do? we only jave two vets that spay rabbits and both of them saod the same thing. he said that she should drink only water. and they dont provide pain meds. he said he did the surgery for 50 rabbits. in my country there isnt alot of people who has rabbits and most of them are not well educated, thats why we dont really have rabbit savvy vet. and even this vet he didn't do the surgery alot because there arent much rabbits here to begin with. should i ignore him and just feed her right before the surgery? i'm worried that the anesthesia wont work or that je would give her more because she ate?.

What sounds like terrible advise 😕

How many rabbits made it from the 50 ?
Is there a spay & neuter facility in your area ?

Last edited:
It sounds like they don't know what they are doing so I would not take her to either of those vets. I second what Lucas the Bun said, try to find a local spay and neuter facility. If you can't find one, my only suggestion would be to not get her spayed. Yes, it does mean she might not litter train as well. Yes, she could develop cancer in the future even though it is not very likely. And yes, you won't be able to bond her with another rabbit in the future, but that is all worth it if you can't find a good vet.

It sounds like they don't know what they are doing so I would not take her to either of those vets. I second what Lucas the Bun said, try to find a local spay and neuter facility. If you can't find one, my only suggestion would be to not get her spayed. Yes, it does mean she might not litter train as well. Yes, she could develop cancer in the future even though it is not very likely. And yes, you won't be able to bond her with another rabbit in the future, but that is all worth it if you can't find a good vet.
I asked the person that got their rabbit spayed there, they said that they did it two years ago and that they weren’t told that they should keep their rabbit from eating, and they didn’t.

I asked the person that got their rabbit spayed there, they said that they did it two years ago and that they weren’t told that they should keep their rabbit from eating, and they didn’t.

Maybe back then they had another vet that knew about rabbits. Because they are telling you not to feed the bunny, I wouldn’t go there. Better to let your doe be intact, she will still be able to live to at least 8 years or older.

Keep on looking for another vet, so your bunny don’t pass away because of inexperience vet.

For example my cat clinic also neuter male rabbits but it’s only one vet in that clinic which have the experience. If she’s sick they will cancel/rebook the neuter for a later time. When she’s not there they will avoid bunnies.

I am looking into getting my little girl spayed. We got her in May not sure how old she is she was a rescue. But I think it is time to spay. I have gotten her vaccinated yet though wondering if I should do that first so she doesn’t pick anything up at the vets.

side note the rescue place recommended two different places one to spay a done to vaccinate. Neither does both.

I am looking into getting my little girl spayed. We got her in May not sure how old she is she was a rescue. But I think it is time to spay. I have gotten her vaccinated yet though wondering if I should do that first so she doesn’t pick anything up at the vets.

side note the rescue place recommended two different places one to spay a done to vaccinate. Neither does both.
I would vaccinate first, wait a good 3 weeks before spaying.

Latest posts

Back