Best temperatures for rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critterfan87

Reaction score
Haven't really seen this addressed, what is a good/best range of temps for a rabbit, particularly indoors?
I'm trying to decide between keeping a rabbit upstairs but that potential area has less space. It maintains temps between 78 degrees F during the day in summer to 68 degrees in winter and at night.
Or could do downstairs with much more space and the potential eventually for two or three entire rooms to be roamed but temps stay no warmer than 74F in the summer day time and can get to 60F in the winter, which would be best?

Rabbits prefer cold. I find that my rabbit thrives around 60-65° F, but my bedroom is usually around the 70° mark just because I prefer it chilly. I believe another member, @Blue eyes, keeps her house around 80° (correct me if I'm wrong. I believe you said this in a thread a while back).

I'd say for you, the downstairs option sounds best temperature wise although the upstairs option is do-able also.

80F is where the danger of heat stroke begins (though if that's the normal household temp and they've grown the appropriate coat, the threshold will be a little bit warmer). Above 85F for sure, I would implement various tactics to help them cool off better (cold ceramic tiles to lay on, frozen 2L bottles to lay against, misting ears, putting a fan blowing across their area, etc.).

For indoor rabbits, temperatures that the humans deem comfortable will also be so for rabbits. When it gets to 76-78F, ours get a little loafier (though they're always loafy during the day anyway) but are still perfectly fine. When it gets to like 60F inside in the winter, they're practically giddy. My vote is for the downstairs where they'd have more space - the fact that it's cooler is just icing on the cake for them.

Great, thanks everyone! Was leaning towards the basement anyway and that cinches it.

Latest posts

Back