Best pellet for angoras?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeStevens

Reaction score
I am torn between timothy-based pellets and high protein pellets, the latter always seem to be alfalfa-based. When I first got him I didn't mind him being on the alfalfa because he was skinny, but now he's put on some weight and while he's not fat at all, I don't want him to gain any more. He does get a lot of exercise, and I restrict his pellets, but I know he needs the extra protein. Any recommendations? Something I can get in Canada. Price doesn't matter, I only have one rabbit.

My first concern is getting too much calcium. Rabbit Nutrition by Lucile Moore says 0.6-1.1% calcium is ok "unless the rabbit has a special need for a low-calcium feed." So I would be concerned about how clear [non-sludgy] the urine is & not feed alfalfa pellets with high calcium foods like carrot tops.

I don't know if Kaytee & oxbow's premium formulas are available to you. I get mine from wag.com. I know kaytee's forti-diet has a minimum of 17.0 protein.

My first concern is getting too much calcium. Rabbit Nutrition by Lucile Moore says 0.6-1.1% calcium is ok "unless the rabbit has a special need for a low-calcium feed." So I would be concerned about how clear [non-sludgy] the urine is & not feed alfalfa pellets with high calcium foods like carrot tops.

I don't know if Kaytee & oxbow's premium formulas are available to you. I get mine from wag.com. I know kaytee's forti-diet has a minimum of 17.0 protein.

Gotcha. His urine is dark yellow, not sludgy, but I had never considered that with regards to the timothy/alfalfa thing. As of now I am feeding him half alfalfa, half timothy, because I wanted to transition him to timothy pellets but then had concerns about the protein so I just stopped there. His hay is timothy hay and I generally feed him 2-3 of the following: kale, cabbage, parsley, bok choy, dandelion, and a baby carrot. It's winter so there isn't too much selection right now.

I will look into the one your suggest - thank you!

I'd go for a higher protein pellet, but is doesn't have to be too high. Angoras do need protein to grow the wool and they will take it from their bodies if they don't get it from the food. I have found that just the level of protein is not enough, as some foods might be the same protein but a rabbit does better on one compared to the other.

I had Lillian on Masterfeeds as she did do well on that. When I first got her, I used Martins and in the long term is wasn't really good. Both have the same protein, 16%.

I would look into Purina. I fed that for 4 years when I showed rabbits. When I got Shiny Things back and got Beauty I went with a timothy based pellet per recommendations on here, but am switching back to alfalfa based because I get better results with it. Not to mention that alfalfa is WAY cheaper.

Latest posts

Back