best pellet food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaidsmiiles

koolaidsmiiles
Reaction score
Soon I'll be getting my 8 wk old Holland lop. Breeder has him on blue seal show hutch deluxe I can't find that anywhere in my area & I can't find anywhere online too order it from either. What are some good brands of rabbit food?

Find out where the Breeder got their pellets from. You could even try to buy some off the Breeder. At this age, your bunny is eating Alfalfa based pellets, so check the ingredients on the back of the packages when you do buy food for him.
Many favorites here are Martins, Oxbow, Zupreem.

Find out where the Breeder got their pellets from. You could even try to buy some off the Breeder. At this age, your bunny is eating Alfalfa based pellets, so check the ingredients on the back of the packages when you do buy food for him.
Many favorites here are Martins, Oxbow, Zupreem.

Thank you how long should he be on alfalfa based pellets? What should the ingredients say?

With the larger breeds our vet said a year and with the smaller bunnies six months is good and then transition them over to a timothy base pellet. Same with hay--alfalfa with no limit while they are growing and then over to a grass hay as alfalfa is a legume and is higher in protein and calcium than an adult needs.

Because your rabbit is not altered(and not use to it) I would not recommend using a feed with under 16%.
I recommend
-kent
-manna pro
-Purina
Check your local feed store they carry the pellets most breeders tend to use. Tractor supply co carries Purina or manna pro-one of the two, I cant remember exactly which one as I feed kent lol:)

If you plan on altering your rabbit then I would slowly transition down to a lower protein food like Oxbow.

My two Mini-Rexes(4 pounds each), who will be 9 years old in April, have eaten Oxbow Bunny Basics-T ever since I got them when they were 4 ½ months. It's always been a small amount... just enough to barely cover the bottom of two food dishes. Their staple is Timothy hay, which all rabbits should have access to, 24/7.

Since you will be bringing home your new bunny baby, I would talk to his/her breeder. Most breeders provide a small amount of the pellets that their babies are eating. I would explain to the breeder that you want to be sure your baby has plenty of the food that he/she is used to & since you can't find that brand ask where or what brand they would recommend. My girls' breeder provided a very nice size bag of food & provided a comprehensive e-mail reply to my questions with a list of everything she used & recommended for her babies. I was able to get a large enough amount of the food they were eating from their breeder & slowly switch to a good quality pellet in a smaller bag that I could buy locally. Anyway all of my rambling just ask if you can buy a larger amount from your breeder to give your new bunny baby time to settle in before you need to slowly transition to another "pet" rabbit pellet. My breeder was very helpful, I'm sure yours will be too. My girls are now eating Oxbow Adult Rabbit Essentials.

Last edited:
I'd recommend Oxbow or Science Selective if you can get it near you. Whichever pellet type you get it should have at least 18% fiber and no seeds, colored bits, or anything like that.

My rabbit vet tells me to give my bunny food with a minimum of 20% protein. He recommended Oxbow Essentials Young Rabbit (for under 1 yr) and Oxbow Essentials Adult (for 1+)

Latest posts

Back