Best orchard grass hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peneloppythebun

Reaction score
so far I am feeding my bun oxbow orchard grass hay. She eats it but she isn’t that crazy for it as she was with Timothy Hay. I’m allergic to Timothy Hay so that’s why I made the switch. I found that Timothy Hay is more course then orchard grass. Is there a coarse orchard grass hay that has the same texture as Timothy Hay? Edit she use to eat small pet select brand Timothy Hay.

I can’t seem to find ANY orchard grass hay near me. But meadow hay could possibly be a good option for you and her?

Edit: I checked smallpetselect and they have Orchard hay! They say ‘it’s terrific for folks who have allergies’. So maybe you could test that out. You could also test the sampler box, to see if there is any hays that she likes and are good for her.

We'll purchase bales from the local House Rabbit Society. Do you have a rescue or HRS chapter in your area that sells orchard grass with occasional stalky clover stems? Costs more per bales than purchasing elsewhere, however the extra funds go to help rescue efforts.

We supplement our state-grown orchard grass hay handouts to the crew with "treat" oat hay from Kleenmama's Hayloft in Washington state. kmshayloft . com / The diameter of oat hay will make sure incisors get a workout.

The last box of bluegrass purchased from KMS was not as satisfactory as before. And a couple of our guys/gals got a gassy tum from bluegrass, or were flat- out not liking it.

Hope this helps as you find a good hay for your bun. Sample boxes are a good idea!

We'll purchase bales from the local House Rabbit Society. Do you have a rescue or HRS chapter in your area that sells orchard grass with occasional stalky clover stems? Costs more per bales than purchasing elsewhere, however the extra funds go to help rescue efforts.

We supplement our state-grown orchard grass hay handouts to the crew with "treat" oat hay from Kleenmama's Hayloft in Washington state. kmshayloft . com / The diameter of oat hay will make sure incisors get a workout.

The last box of bluegrass purchased from KMS was not as satisfactory as before. And a couple of our guys/gals got a gassy tum from bluegrass, or were flat- out not liking it.

Hope this helps as you find a good hay for your bun. Sample boxes are a good idea!
Unfortunately there isn’t any local house rabbit Society around me, it’s pretty far from where I am. I heard about rabbit Hole Hay and small pet select. Her Timothy Hay was from small pet select. I’ll try the sample size first and see if she likes that better. She still eats the orchard grass hay but I feel like she wastes more of it then she did with the Timothy Hay. Thank you guys. I will try a sample size of the orchard grass hay from small pet select:) Your bun buns so cute!

Last edited:
I can’t seem to find ANY orchard grass hay near me. But meadow hay could possibly be a good option for you and her?

Edit: I checked smallpetselect and they have Orchard hay! They say ‘it’s terrific for folks who have allergies’. So maybe you could test that out. You could also test the sampler box, to see if there is any hays that she likes and are good for her.
She eats the orchard grass hay, but she doesn’t go crazy for it like she did with the Timothy Hay, I’m thinking it’s because she is use to the Timothy Hay and maybe getting used to the orchard grass hay possibly. She still eats it which is good but it seems like she prefers Timothy Hay because it’s more coarse. I feel bad but I couldn’t take it I was allergic to it so that’s why I switched and I felt much better. Is meadow hay better then orchard grass? Also your bun bun is so adorable!

Have you tried oat hay before? So far she has tried Timothy Hay and orchard grass. I was thinking maybe trying a sample of oat hay?

The freshest hay isn't bagged or branded. Local feed stores carry bales and sometimes half bales.

I'd check to see what hays they have in stock. (They may also let you have a small handful as a sample if you explain that you're looking for something your rabbit likes. )

Brome, Bermuda and meadow grass are other options .

The freshest hay isn't bagged or branded. Local feed stores carry bales and sometimes half bales.

I'd check to see what hays they have in stock. (They may also let you have a small handful as a sample if you explain that you're looking for something your rabbit likes. )

Brome, Bermuda and meadow grass are other options .
Would you prefer meadow grass over orchard grass? She still eats the orchard grass. I’m just not sure if it’s fresh or how long the bag of orchard grass was on the pet store shelf. I can’t really get a big bale because of storage issues because I live with my parents and family issues. My only option is to leave it in my room. so that’s why I had to get bagged or boxed. Which sucks but yeah.

She eats the orchard grass hay, but she doesn’t go crazy for it like she did with the Timothy Hay, I’m thinking it’s because she is use to the Timothy Hay and maybe getting used to the orchard grass hay possibly. She still eats it which is good but it seems like she prefers Timothy Hay because it’s more coarse. I feel bad but I couldn’t take it I was allergic to it so that’s why I switched and I felt much better. Is meadow hay better then orchard grass? Also your bun bun is so adorable!
Honestly, I have absolutely no idea whether meadow hay is better than orchard grass, but it’s more available near me. You don’t need to feel bad that you had to switch her hay because of your allergies. Your providing a good, comfortable home for her and are finding substitutes that will help the both of you.

I haven’t tried oat hay before. I would just sample the hays that you’re thinking of and see what works best.
Thank you so much for the help, also my rabbit started making noises like when she slept and woke up. It sounded like purring or something. She woke up and came near me by my feet. Just want to know if she’s okay or if this is normal

Thank you so much for the help, also my rabbit started making noises like when she slept and woke up. It sounded like purring or something. She woke up and came near me by my feet. Just want to know if she’s okay or if this is normal

Was it like tooth grinding? My rabbit often makes a grinding noise with his teeth when he’s sleeping. For him it means that’s he’s happy and comfortable

List of rabbit sounds
https://www.petplan.co.uk/amp/pet-information/rabbit/advice/understanding-rabbit-noises/

She does that to when she’s sleeping and flops but it was like a honking
Actually it wasn’t honking, she was sleeping then she woke up and ran to be making that sound like she was purring or honking or something I watched a video on it and people said they are happy when they do that. At first I thought she was wheezing

Maybe she was annoyed at you because of something? Like not giving her treats or attention? Is she spayed?
She just started doing it today she isn’t doing it anymore but she did it when she woke up from a nap. She ran to he and made like a honking noise which I never heard from her she isn’t doing it anymore though

Latest posts

Back