Best hideaways

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily&Lola

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could have some suggestions for hideaways for my rabbits Lily and Lola. I used to have a cardboard box in their cage for them but they kept eating it so I took it out. I then bough a timothy hay hide but its not that big and they almost ate the whole thing away now. I am looking for a more permanent hide that they wont eat away.

Thank you,
John

Not sure where you are, but if you have access to Etsy, there are some sellers who make wooden hidey holes and play structures for bunnies, if you don't want to make your own. I've also used a plastic tote and cut a hole in the side about halfway up so they can hop in and out. I like this because there is easy access for cleaning as the lid just comes off. Put some bedding and hay in the bottom. It also gives them a place to "dig" without making a huge mess.

I usually simply get an appropriate sized cardboard box,cut several entryand exit holes in itand fill half up with scrumpled paper- hours of amusement for minimal cost and when it's been destroyed or soiled,just get another one.Sometimes simplest is best.

Cardboard boxes do double duty: They provide the hidey hole; and, give the bunnies something to chew. Our keep busy for hours with their bunstruction. :)

The only time we had a problem with cardboard boxes is when a young buck got bossy and crowded his sister away from the grub; so, she filled her tummy on cardboard, instead. Stasis! Now, we have to keep her from getting at any cardboard or paper; the buck has since been fixed and is good as gold. For her we built hidey holes out of scraps of particle board and tempered hardboard. The places where there are doorways are made of soft wood, such as poplar, so she still has something to chew; but, it lasts a bit longer. :)

All our other buns love their cardboard box hidey holes. In order to make them last a bit longer I use white glue to make double and triple-thick layered boxes. Around the entry holes I'll even make five or six layers. The buns can still have their fun and their "houses" last for months instead of days. :)

Latest posts

Back