Best hay recommendation for this particular moment in US ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, usually if you get hay from a store, its gonna be Timothy hay. Timothy is okay. But grass/prairie hay is the best and rabbits tend to take to it best in most situations. Fiber is SO important in their diet, and LOTS of it. I couldn't find a supplier so far for what Benjamin needs, but hopefully soon I'll get it. Right now he has Timothy hay. I am not happy about that all being what I can get a hold of right now. But I have no choice. He picks at it. It has a good smell and color, but he is not impressed. Brome is sweet as far as hay goes. I don't remember if I ever gave that to my buns before. But I prefer to offer grass hay, soooooo.... Try Dandelion leaves as well. If bunbun is picking at hay, its gonna make it easy for tummy upset. Dandelions helps in that area SO much.

If you feed pellets see what hay they are made of and try that kind of hay

Thing is... most pellets are made from alfalfa. And you highly want to stay away from that. It causes a lot of issues. They are already getting it in their feed, giving them more is dangerous.

The quality of Oxbow hay has gotten worse and worse, 3 years ago(2017) I complained to Oxbow and they blamed the quality on the flooding in areas where most of their hay is grown. Today, 3 years after the flooding ended I am still getting horrible quality hay. The Hay is chopped in very small pieces most no longer than a 1/4 inch, and half the bag is dust from what appears when
they clean out the machines. My rabbits try to eat it and become choked and begin sneezing from the dust. I have tried several other brands and they are not much better. Why is Oxbow doing this?

Latest posts

Back