Best guess bonding dynamics in this situation?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critterfan87

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to start by saying I've read a ton on various outlines for bonding and feel I have a decent grasp of how to do it. I've gotten opposing advice from articles on this particular type of pairing, so wanted advice for the so far known personalities of my actual current buns.

I have a male/female bonded pair. My male is the more dominant bun and the female more submissive, though I'd say that it's more she doesn't care to assert herself.

I've decided on getting a third rabbit and will be able to house them apart indefinitely if needed but I would like to attempt a trio. I've read quite a bit discouraging this idea and a fair bit saying it's doable, if a fair bit harder than two. I'm pretty set on trying, so would appreciate advice on how to go about it, rather than whether or not to.

I've been told that it's easiest to pair a trio if two are already bonded and I've been told 3 new, unbonded buns are the easiest to make trios of. That one doesn't really apply to me since a bonded pair is what I've already got.

But then I've been told a male/male/female trio is best and had started kind of planning on that but was worried it might not be best for my particular pair and just today have read multiple articles saying female/female/male is easier, can anyone chime in on that?

I am sort of thinking that in my case, getting another female might be best. I also foster rabbits and though I've never tried doing anything to bond them, since they aren't staying, my male has hated every male foster bunny he's been in line of sight with and did get in a fight with one of them when they both managed to escape their pens one day. He does not seem to have the same issues with the females I've fostered that have been housed nearby. The female doesn't seem to care one way or the other about any of the fosters, male or female, though sometimes is mildly interested in their goings on. Given that, would you agree a female might be best in this situation?

I am set on the third rabbit being a particular breed, however they are almost never gotten into the rescue I foster for, nor are younger adults generally offered for sale, from what I've seen, though retiring breeders are sometimes available. Those are generally 5 plus though and seems like that is close to the age in which spaying is more risky, yes?

So that means it will almost certainly be a baby, which leads to my next set of questions, how and when do I introduce him/her? I can do a very long slow intro, keeping their cages near each other, swapping their items so they are used to each other's smells in their cages, etc but wait until the new one is fixed and healed to do actual face to face introductions? Or try to bond as a baby, even though being desexed will be in the middle there? Was kind of leaning towards the slow way and trying for an actual bond after healing?

Thanks for reading all that and for any advice!

Ok..as for the getting fixed..you’ll need to rely on someone else since my rabbits are not. I have 32. But..I have a hobby farm..one is a house bunny..but,..have several bonded bunnies living together..ok..with all that said... I would probably go with a doe. You are right the buck are territorial..plus, he’s probably thinking she’s his girlfriend so that’s going to make him even more territorial. If it were me.. I would do play dates...have all 3 get to know each other..do you possibly have any somewhere neutral? That would be the best place to add a newbie..not in his spot. But I would put them together for short period of course to get introduced...and I love the idea of trading each other’s items for smell..so many people don’t realize how important smell is with rabbits. Also. When introducing...it’s nice ...I’ve found..to have them share food..after the initial smell each other thing..I put in a large in diameter bowl of greens..then each time..the bowl..in diameter gets smaller...so they are forced closer together sharing food....don’t leave them unsupervised..just in case. At first. Make sure they all have like a box they can sleep in alone but then ween that too. Or don’t..that one is up to you. But I definitely like having them eat out of one feeder...just means you have to refill more...one waterer.... I have two does..not fixed together..no problems..one doe one buck one doe together no issue..she’s one, he’s four months...we’ll see what I do..probably let one liter then fix him. Then one group of 11..from 2 liters..they are 4 months and 3 months..and then 7 mixed from two liters again they are five months.... everyone gets along...knock wood..I separate my does when they are pregnant..but I time them together..and then put them back...it’s gone great...they really like each other..and they are two breeds

Yeah, I have several good places for face to face introductions that are neutral ground, my pair has never been in.
When I bonded these two, it went very easy. Though both were known to be good choices for bonding, the male especially, he wanted a buddy badly. I got the male first but received the female a few days later. They were housed near each other and I switched them into each others' enclosures half of each day, one had more room to run around. Did that for a few days, then they had a couple short face to face introductions in a neutral spot and then one in their pen. Had a lot of humping from the male and some chasing but no aggression. By the third day they were sharing their connected enclosures all the time, were seeking each other out, grooming, etc and the dominance humping had stopped.

Well that sounds like you know exactly what to do...the only thing I would do...that since it’s a trio. Maybe give her a chance to spend time with each of them one on one so they don’t do the bully thing...

Hi Critterfan,
I have some thoughts on how you may go about attempting a trio...

I have a male/female bonded pair. My male is the more dominant bun and the female more submissive, though I'd say that it's more she doesn't care to assert herself.

But then I've been told a male/male/female trio is best and had started kind of planning on that but was worried it might not be best for my particular pair and just today have read multiple articles saying female/female/male is easier, can anyone chime in on that?

I am sort of thinking that in my case, getting another female might be best. The female doesn't seem to care one way or the other about any of the fosters, male or female, though sometimes is mildly interested in their goings on. Given that, would you agree a female might be best in this situation?

Your male being the dominant one and the female being submissive is something that just happens to be the way your 2 rabbits are. Don't let that lead you to think that that is typical or always the case. It is quite common for the female to be the dominant one in a pairring as well. I just wanted to mention that.

I would definitely agree that a female would be my go-to in this situation. It is more rare for males to get along with another male. But the personality of the 3rd rabbit will be what matters most. If she is too dominant, then it won't work (or she'll demote your current male). Two males, on the other hand, are more likely to fight if there is a female present.

(It may be antecdotal, but I had a pair of brothers that got along at a rescue, but ended up fighting when I tried to bond them with my female.)

So that means it will almost certainly be a baby, which leads to my next set of questions, how and when do I introduce him/her? I can do a very long slow intro, keeping their cages near each other, swapping their items so they are used to each other's smells in their cages, etc but wait until the new one is fixed and healed to do actual face to face introductions? Or try to bond as a baby, even though being desexed will be in the middle there? Was kind of leaning towards the slow way and trying for an actual bond after healing?

Thanks for reading all that and for any advice!

Going with the slow way and trying for an actual bond after healing is a good idea.
Getting a baby will be more difficult. I would not be introducing a baby to the other two at all. They would likely get along at first BUT it would only be temporary -- until her hormones kick in. You won't want either of the pair anywhere near her when hormones kick in. Even if they aren't in contact with her, the existence of those hormones can alter their behavior and even get them fighting.

There would also be no benefit in switching toys or such until after she is spayed and healed. She will smell differently when she returns so there will be no benefit (but perhaps harm) in getting them used to the odor of a young rabbit that won't smell like her adult self.

Probably the best advice I've seen on trios or groups at the cottontails rescue site. The link is here (just look on right side for quick scroll to trios and groups):
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Latest posts

Back