Best greens to give bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brynn dokter

Reaction score
I’m wondering what everyone’s go to staple veggies are to give their bunny! I want to change up my buns diet and find something healthy for her to have everyday that she enjoys!

Trixie loves Dandelion Greens. And when I mean loves, she loooovvvvesss it lol. She runs in circles around me when I bring it to her and sometimes I can't even get it out of the bag before she's pawing at me to feed her. She also enjoys cilantro, spring Mix, romaine lettuce, bok ahoy and arugula. I change it up every week. So one week if I give her spring mix, I switch the following week to cilantro, romaine lettuce and arugula. I will eventually give her mint and basil too because we grow it in our garden.

Here's the list that I reference when I do my grocery shopping:
https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Just remember to introduce new greens to your rabbit slowly if they're not in her diet already. By doing that, you'll see if she can tolerate the new veggies.

Watch the calcium level tho. Remember parsley, dandelion greens, rocket, clover very high in calcium. Too high in calcium, can cause renal failure and death.

Watch the calcium level tho. Remember parsley, dandelion greens, rocket, clover very high in calcium. Too high in calcium, can cause renal failure and death.
I've been told as long as the vegetables are in rotation and in moderation, it's fine. I feed mine dandelion greens one week, mixed with other veggies such as fennel and cilantro and then its one week off them. Then the next is lettuce, bok choy, and spring greens, and rotate again.

Apollo loves romaine lettuce. He gets a small bit of kale about twice a week along side his usual lettuce. We’ve been using regular tesco salad bags at the moment (I know I’m evil!) but that’s just because my local store doesn’t have too much vegetables! But the salad bags usually have four different types of lettuces, so they’re still good. But on lucky days, I make the horrible trudge to a superstore to find nice veggies for him!

So yeah, the salad bag from tesco is our go-to :p

Whenever available: Grass, lots of it, and all sorts of weeds. Stingy nettles, after letting wilt and half dry. Leaves of willow, ash, roses. Rose blossoms are a treat for mine.

I've been told as long as the vegetables are in rotation and in moderation, it's fine. I feed mine dandelion greens one week, mixed with other veggies such as fennel and cilantro and then its one week off them. Then the next is lettuce, bok choy, and spring greens, and rotate again.
That sounds great. From my personal experience as an bunny mum and from discussions with my rabbit savvy vet, it can only be after continued high intake of the course of a few weeks or other signs like urine turning white. This excludes young rabbits (up to about a year) and pregnant rabbits, who need higher calcium intake intake.

That sounds great. From my personal experience as an bunny mum and from discussions with my rabbit savvy vet, it can only be after continued high intake of the course of a few weeks or other signs like urine turning white. This excludes young rabbits (up to about a year) and pregnant rabbits, who need higher calcium intake intake.
Whew, and here I had a minor panic attack when I read your response. I’m still a new rabbit mum myself, but thankfully her urine has been normal.

Whew, and here I had a minor panic attack when I read your response. I’m still a new rabbit mum myself, but thankfully her urine has been normal.
Sorry didn't mean to scare you. ♥ it is just a good reminder for all us rabbit parents to remember. But also remember it does take time....to build up. I learned the hard way. Had an old rabbit with bladder sludge with very white urine. Lots of vet expenses. She pulled through it, only to have bad respiratory tract infections on a off for the remaining 1.5 years of her life and me having to let her go.

Sorry didn't mean to scare you. ♥ it is just a good reminder for all us rabbit parents to remember. But also remember it does take time....to build up. I learned the hard way. Had an old rabbit with bladder sludge with very white urine. Lots of vet expenses. She pulled through it, only to have bad respiratory tract infections on a off for the remaining 1.5 years of her life and me having to let her go.
That’s so heartbreaking, I’m so sorry to hear that happen to you. ☹️

Trixie came into my life unexpectedly and so I did so much Googling on how to care for a rabbit (mainly from HRS’s site) and just been winging it the best way I know how.

Now I'm really scared. I was looking up about my rabbit's pee recently because his pee was thick and white. What caused the thick white pee for your rabbit and should I be taking my rabbit to the vet. It's been a week or so since then.

If he hasn't had it since then I wouldn't be worried. But if he has it again, send us a picture and we'll see what we think.

That’s so heartbreaking, I’m so sorry to hear that happen to you. ☹️

Trixie came into my life unexpectedly and so I did so much Googling on how to care for a rabbit (mainly from HRS’s site) and just been winging it the best way I know how.
Sometimes winging it is the best way to learn. Experience csn often be the best teacher at times. :)

I’m wondering what everyone’s go to staple veggies are to give their bunny! I want to change up my buns diet and find something healthy for her to have everyday that she enjoys!
Hi
Our bunny loves carrot tops and basil.

I’m a new breeder and I’m still learning. I’m I’ve learned recently that it kind of depends on the rabbit. One of my babies (although she’s not a baby any more) is a picky eater. She eats mostly hay and some pellets, because so far the only fresh greens she will eat are blueberries and sugar sap peas both of which have to be fed in moderation. It seems she has a bit sweet tooth which isn’t helped by the fact that she’s also spoiled rotten. Side note I’ve tried a lot of things. I’m curious about the dandelion greens. Where do you buy those?

Just be careful not to confuse dandelion with wild lettuce if you are picking them from outside. Broadleaf plantain that usually grows where dandelions will is good for bunny gi track and mine all love it. I also grow fodder for fresh greens.

I give my bunnies 3 varieties a day. Romaine, leaf lettuce, celery, bokchoy, carrot tops, parsley, spinach, cilantro etc.
The last three are only once a week. A small piece of carrot once a week as well. Their favorite treats are gala apples and very small piece of banana.. Bananas can be gassy

I've never heard that bananas can cause gas. Never seen it happen. They are high in sugar though and so only a small amount should be given. Any sudden large amounts of sugar - from any source - can cause a tummy upset.

Latest posts

Back