Best flooring, open bottom cage, litter training?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessa

Reaction score
im preparing my house for a new bunny. I am in the midst of building a bunny palace for use when I am at work or when I am asleep (also for bunnys use when he wants his own "safe space"). Before i can free roam him or her, ill need to litter train. While litter training, what, in your experience, has been a preferable flooring that is fairly cost effective and good for reducing problems of accidents / easy to clean up & least likely to be torn up. Im debating just getting stick on tiles and a large sheet of cardboard and just layering them to start. Maybe a tarp stapled under it to the cardboard to start. Eventually it would be thrown out, so I dont want to go overboard with the cost being put into it...

You mean like the floor near the litterbox or the general floor all around the box? Hmm, yeah my bunny was in a similar situation when I first got him, cardboard and tiles work, but I'm not really sure you need it? Remy caught on quite quick and just went in the litterbox after a day or two. The tarp might be an issue, I know Remy would chew that and they can't digest that, however cardboard is safe as long as it's in small amounts. I'd say cardboard would be the best option for cleanup and safety, although do whatever you feel is best and suits your bunny the most. The stick on tiles could work, but maybe at first use no flooring, see how it goes, and the decide if you need it or not from there. Good luck!

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure others will have great answers as well!

Take care and best wishes
~ Remy The Rabbit

That's pretty much what I did however I got a piece of plywood about 13mm thick and cut it a bigger than the condo I built then placed vinyl stick on tiles. It works great and cleans up easy. One tip if you do go that route, get stick on tiles that have as much texture as possible so your bunny can get grippage when moving around. Also get some of those furniture sliders for underneath the plywood. You'll appreciate them when you need to move the setup.

The 13mm plywood isn't as easy to dispose of as cardboard, but the 13mm is pretty easy to deal with and will be a much more solid setup than cardboard.

If you plan to get an already fixed rabbit from a rabbit rescue, then there's a good chance he/she will be already litter trained. There are numerous benefits (aside from that) of starting with an already fixed rabbit. If he isn't trained, but is fixed, he'll also train quite easily and quickly.

Latest posts

Back